Jul 3, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
The AHL’s Toronto Marlies have hired Steve Spott to replace departed head coach Dallas Eakins.
Spott, 45, was the head coach of the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers for the past five seasons. Until now, he was perhaps best known for coaching Team Canada at the 2013 World Juniors. (Not in a good way, either — Canada finished out of the medals despite going into the tournament with a stacked team.)
Eakins, of course, left the Marlies to become the new bench boss of the Edmonton Oilers.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 64
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63