Jul 3, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
The AHL’s Toronto Marlies have hired Steve Spott to replace departed head coach Dallas Eakins.
Spott, 45, was the head coach of the OHL’s Kitchener Rangers for the past five seasons. Until now, he was perhaps best known for coaching Team Canada at the 2013 World Juniors. (Not in a good way, either — Canada finished out of the medals despite going into the tournament with a stacked team.)
Eakins, of course, left the Marlies to become the new bench boss of the Edmonton Oilers.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 93
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5