Jul 3, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Tuukka Rask proved himself. Now, he’s about to get very rich.
According to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Rask’s contract extension with the Boston Bruins will be “in the range” of $56 million over eight years, an average annual value of $7 million.
Rask, 26, is coming off a one-year, $3.5 million deal that he signed last summer. The Bruins had wanted to lock up their young netminder for longer, but ultimately both sides kicked the can down the road a season.
In 2013, Rask went 19-10-5 with a .929 save percentage. Then, in the playoffs, his .940 save percentage in 22 games was tops among all starters as the B’s made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
Only one other goalie in the NHL has a cap hit as high as $7 million — Nashville’s Pekka Rinne.
In hindsight, B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli may be wishing he’d driven a softer bargain with Rask last summer. But there’s nothing that can be done about that now.
It will, however, make it harder for Chiarelli — who’s confident a Rask deal will get signed soon — to add pieces in free agency.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)