Jul 3, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
Tuukka Rask proved himself. Now, he’s about to get very rich.
According to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Rask’s contract extension with the Boston Bruins will be “in the range” of $56 million over eight years, an average annual value of $7 million.
Rask, 26, is coming off a one-year, $3.5 million deal that he signed last summer. The Bruins had wanted to lock up their young netminder for longer, but ultimately both sides kicked the can down the road a season.
In 2013, Rask went 19-10-5 with a .929 save percentage. Then, in the playoffs, his .940 save percentage in 22 games was tops among all starters as the B’s made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
Only one other goalie in the NHL has a cap hit as high as $7 million — Nashville’s Pekka Rinne.
In hindsight, B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli may be wishing he’d driven a softer bargain with Rask last summer. But there’s nothing that can be done about that now.
It will, however, make it harder for Chiarelli — who’s confident a Rask deal will get signed soon — to add pieces in free agency.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)