Jul 3, 2013, 12:19 PM EST
Tuukka Rask proved himself. Now, he’s about to get very rich.
According to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Rask’s contract extension with the Boston Bruins will be “in the range” of $56 million over eight years, an average annual value of $7 million.
Rask, 26, is coming off a one-year, $3.5 million deal that he signed last summer. The Bruins had wanted to lock up their young netminder for longer, but ultimately both sides kicked the can down the road a season.
In 2013, Rask went 19-10-5 with a .929 save percentage. Then, in the playoffs, his .940 save percentage in 22 games was tops among all starters as the B’s made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
Only one other goalie in the NHL has a cap hit as high as $7 million — Nashville’s Pekka Rinne.
In hindsight, B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli may be wishing he’d driven a softer bargain with Rask last summer. But there’s nothing that can be done about that now.
It will, however, make it harder for Chiarelli — who’s confident a Rask deal will get signed soon — to add pieces in free agency.
Chiarelli said with Nathan Horton going to free agency, they have thought of circling back with Jaromir Jagr; "we may revisit" ^CS—
Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) July 03, 2013
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli confirms reaching out to Alfredsson camp: “Yes, I have spoken to Alfie’s agent at length today.''—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) July 03, 2013
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 6
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 14
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)