Jul 3, 2013, 12:19 PM EDT
Tuukka Rask proved himself. Now, he’s about to get very rich.
According to the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman, Rask’s contract extension with the Boston Bruins will be “in the range” of $56 million over eight years, an average annual value of $7 million.
Rask, 26, is coming off a one-year, $3.5 million deal that he signed last summer. The Bruins had wanted to lock up their young netminder for longer, but ultimately both sides kicked the can down the road a season.
In 2013, Rask went 19-10-5 with a .929 save percentage. Then, in the playoffs, his .940 save percentage in 22 games was tops among all starters as the B’s made it all the way to the Stanley Cup Final.
Only one other goalie in the NHL has a cap hit as high as $7 million — Nashville’s Pekka Rinne.
In hindsight, B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli may be wishing he’d driven a softer bargain with Rask last summer. But there’s nothing that can be done about that now.
It will, however, make it harder for Chiarelli — who’s confident a Rask deal will get signed soon — to add pieces in free agency.
Chiarelli said with Nathan Horton going to free agency, they have thought of circling back with Jaromir Jagr; "we may revisit" ^CS—
Boston Bruins (@NHLBruins) July 03, 2013
Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli confirms reaching out to Alfredsson camp: “Yes, I have spoken to Alfie’s agent at length today.''—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) July 03, 2013
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 1
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 9
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 84
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 37
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 57
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)