Jul 3, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
Considering the fact that he’s 33, some might wonder if he’s merely showing his age. New York Rangers GM Glen Sather opted against buying Richards out this summer, explaining to New York Newsday that he believes that the playmaker can turn things around in 2013-14.
“[Richards is] really good player,” Sather said. “I think he had an off-year, and we think he’ll be much better next year.”
Considering this decision, the Rangers must hope that new head coach Alain Vigneault and a more normal offseason program will do Richards and the rest of the team some good.
That doesn’t mean Richards won’t ever be bought out, however.
His $6.667 million cap hit extends through 2019-20, with 2013-14’s salary being $9 million. Henrik Lundqvist, Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi are among the prominent Rangers whose contracts expire in the summer of 2014, so it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Rangers use their second (and final) compliance buyout on Richards.
It looks like he’ll get a chance to redeem himself next season, whether he’s auditioning for the Rangers or one of 29 other NHL teams for 2014-15.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 16
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 21
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (132)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)