Jul 3, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
In the wake of Alex Ovechkin being voted onto the NHL’s first- and second-All Star Teams, the organization responsible for balloting — the Professional Hockey Writers Association — has released a statement, courtesy president Kevin Allen (of USA Today):
It was the Professional Hockey Writers Association’s recommendation that its members vote for Alex Ovechkin on the right wing, the position he played in the vast majority of his games this season.
Prior to ballots being issued, we emailed a memo to our members reminding them of Ovechkin’s position switch in 2012-13.
But 45 of our members chose to vote for him on the left wing, the position he had played for many years. It is also the position listed for him on NHL.com.
We are troubled by the all-star voting results, and plan to take a closer look at the events that led to Ovechkin winning All-Star acclaim at two positions.
We know we got this wrong, and our objective is to make sure it never happens again.
Even before this confusion was revealed, the PHWA had already planned a study of our voting process. At our annual meeting in New York, a committee was formed to look at all voting issues, including transparency and eligibility. The committee includes Mark Spector (Sportsnet.ca), Craig Custance (ESPN.com), Mike Russo (Minneapolis Star-Tribune), Nick Cotsonika (Yahoo.com), Bruce Garrioch (Ottawa Sun) and Frank Seravalli (Philadelphia Daily News).
That group will also review this situation to see what can be done to eliminate this in the future.
Ovechkin was named to the NHL’s first All-Star Team as a right winger, and to the NHL’s second All-Star team as a left winger.
The result meant Edmonton’s Taylor Hall — who, as the third place vote-getter at left wing — essentially lost a spot on the second team.
The association also votes on the Hart, Norris, Calder, Lady Byng and Selke Trophies.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)