Jul 3, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
After just one season in Florida, Filip Kuba is on his way out.
The Panthers will buy out the final year of Kuba’s contract, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie — a decision that will cost the club $4.2 million in salary next year.
Also, because the team is using a standard buyout as opposed to a compliance one, his $4 million hit will still count against Florida’s cap.
It’s believed the Panthers aren’t worried about cap space this season — they’re $17 million under the ceiling with Kuba on the books — and this allows them to retain both compliance buyouts for next season, if they so choose.
Kuba, 36, signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Panthers in 2012 after reviving his career in Ottawa during the 2011-12 campaign.
Paired with Norris-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson, Kuba enjoyed a 32-point effort and a plus-26 rating while playing nearly 24 minutes a night with the Sens, a big reason why Florida inked him to a lucrative deal to replace the departing Jason Garrison.
In 2013, Kuba played a bunch — 44 games, over 21 minutes a night — but his production fell to just 10 points and he finished minus-18 on the year.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 20
- All eyes on Lundqvist 9
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)