Jul 3, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
After just one season in Florida, Filip Kuba is on his way out.
The Panthers will buy out the final year of Kuba’s contract, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie — a decision that will cost the club $4.2 million in salary next year.
Also, because the team is using a standard buyout as opposed to a compliance one, his $4 million hit will still count against Florida’s cap.
It’s believed the Panthers aren’t worried about cap space this season — they’re $17 million under the ceiling with Kuba on the books — and this allows them to retain both compliance buyouts for next season, if they so choose.
Kuba, 36, signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Panthers in 2012 after reviving his career in Ottawa during the 2011-12 campaign.
Paired with Norris-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson, Kuba enjoyed a 32-point effort and a plus-26 rating while playing nearly 24 minutes a night with the Sens, a big reason why Florida inked him to a lucrative deal to replace the departing Jason Garrison.
In 2013, Kuba played a bunch — 44 games, over 21 minutes a night — but his production fell to just 10 points and he finished minus-18 on the year.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)