Jul 3, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
After just one season in Florida, Filip Kuba is on his way out.
The Panthers will buy out the final year of Kuba’s contract, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie — a decision that will cost the club $4.2 million in salary next year.
Also, because the team is using a standard buyout as opposed to a compliance one, his $4 million hit will still count against Florida’s cap.
It’s believed the Panthers aren’t worried about cap space this season — they’re $17 million under the ceiling with Kuba on the books — and this allows them to retain both compliance buyouts for next season, if they so choose.
Kuba, 36, signed a two-year, $8 million deal with the Panthers in 2012 after reviving his career in Ottawa during the 2011-12 campaign.
Paired with Norris-winning defenseman Erik Karlsson, Kuba enjoyed a 32-point effort and a plus-26 rating while playing nearly 24 minutes a night with the Sens, a big reason why Florida inked him to a lucrative deal to replace the departing Jason Garrison.
In 2013, Kuba played a bunch — 44 games, over 21 minutes a night — but his production fell to just 10 points and he finished minus-18 on the year.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)