Jul 3, 2013, 1:57 PM EDT
After just 63 regular-season and five playoff games, Tom Gilbert is done in Minnesota.
On Wednesday, the Wild announced they were waiving the veteran defenseman for the purpose of buying out his contract — a six-year, $24 million deal that expires at the end of the 2013-14 season.
“Due to the NHL salary cap decreasing this season, we needed to make this difficult decision to give the team more flexibility,” Wild GM Chuck Fletcher said in a statement. “We thank Tom for his time with the Wild and wish him the best going forward.”
The Wild will get $4 million in cap relief with the buyout, and pay the remainder of Gilbert’s salary — $3 million — over the course of the next two seasons.
Minnesota acquired Gilbert from Edmonton in 2012, in exchange for Nick Schultz.
The 30-year-old Minnesota native logged a heavy workload at first with the Wild — averaging over 27 minutes per game during the 2011-12 season — but became less of a factor after Ryan Suter was signed last summer and Jonas Brodin emerged as the club’s No. 2 defenseman.
Last year, Gilbert averaged just 19:19 TOI per game and finished with a minus-11 rating.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)