Luongo to speak Thursday morning (Update: Canceled)

Jul 3, 2013, 3:30 PM EST

In his first public interview since the Canucks traded Cory Schneider at the draft, goalie Roberto Luongo is scheduled to talk with Vancouver radio station CFOX tomorrow at 9 a.m. local time.

Suffice to say, it may be worth a listen.

Update: It’s possible the interview has been canceled. We emailed the radio station this afternoon but didn’t hear anything back.

Update 2: Just heard back. The interview is indeed off. No reason given.

Luongo, 34, has only been quoted once since the Schneider trade, by TSN’s James Duthie on Sunday.

“I’m shocked,” Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.”

Luongo has also tweeted twice, the first time to make a joke…

…the second to offer his support for Schneider…

But it’s still unclear how Luongo feels about returning for next season (and beyond) as Vancouver’s starter.

It’s been widely reported that he desired a fresh start elsewhere, and that’s what general manager Mike Gillis tried to accommodate.

In May, after the Canucks were swept out of the playoffs, Gillis said it was “unlikely” that the veteran goalie would be back.

But Gillis never did trade Luongo, largely blaming provisions in the new CBA for being unable to move the $64 million front-loaded contract.

Obviously, it’s been quite the emotional roller-coaster ride for Luongo. Last July, also on CFOX, he all but assured listeners that his time in Vancouver was over.

“Never say never, but I think we all know what’s going on, we’ve all seen what’s developed,” he said. “At the end of the day I think it’s time to move on, and I’m OK with that. I’ve had a great six years in Vancouver and I think it’s a wonderful city. I really enjoyed my time there. Sadly I could never win a Cup there, which is probably my greatest regret, but it was a great six years.”

Never say never, indeed.

1. valarmorghuliss - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Such a cool and funny guy, shame on so many of us for hating on him for so long. I’ve totally flip flopped on Strombone, totally rooting for him to win somewhere. Somewhere other than the Olympics where he came in and helped win Gold, which so many seem to have forgotten.

• comeonnowguys - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I’m not sure how you could read his Twitter feed and not like the guy.

• jaybertx - Jul 4, 2013 at 8:04 AM

It really is the beauty of Twitter, right? Getting to know a bit more about the players who use it, especially guys with the wit of @strombone1.

2. gaborik104life - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Most athletes would not be able to handle what he has with the class and humor he has. You may not respect his skill as an athlete in terms of achieving the ultimate goal of every nhl player but you have to give respect to him as a person.

3. r4n6er - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:51 PM

This is what I wanted 14 months ago when we could have got more from a Schenider trade.

4. kingcobraman - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:53 PM

yes as a person he is a great guy unfortunately the goalie is always the most scrutinized position and always the fans scapegoat when they lose… I welcome him back to Vancouver if he decides he wants to return…

5. 19to77 - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I don’t know if he’ll give Vancouver another chance after Gillis has jerked him around so much, but I hope he gets to lift the Cup somewhere. Seems like a pretty likeable guy. Doesn’t deserve the crap he gets. Wouldn’t be surprised if he says he’s not willing to come back to Vancouver, though – maybe not this summer, but let’s say he agrees to continue with them and the team makes another early playoff exit. If the Canucks fans turn on him yet again, I imagine his patience will reach its end. The guy can only take so much crap, and he’s taken it from the fans and the management both. He can only be so patient, after all.

6. 2qswing - Jul 3, 2013 at 3:57 PM

LUANGO TO SPEAK THURSDAY MORNING

Jeez you guys act like Canada is under attack and the PM is addressing the nation. He’s a very well-paid professional athlete, not Nelson Mandella.
    I have to figure out what I’m going to do”???
    Here’s what you are going to do. you cant be moved because of the franchise-killing contract you and the idiot gm signed. You are now the starter … shut up and play. That’s what you are going to do.

• Jason Brough - Jul 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM

He’s going to speak tomorrow morning.
      Tomorrow is Thursday.
      Hence, the headline.

• kingcobraman - Jul 3, 2013 at 4:05 PM

maybe back in the 60s and 70s that would work…2013 the players are more than the owners puppets…

• sunderlanding - Jul 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM

This is a hockey wepage, so it makes sense it would have hockey headlines, or maybe you didn’t get that far in school?

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 3, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Who the hell is Nelson Mandella?

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:02 PM

2qs, I get the feeling some of those replying to your comment might not quite get what you are saying. While most of us have great respect for Luongo’s talent’s and him as a person, what he has to say about his situation is unlikely to be quite as earthshaking as a Churchill WWII speech. And his options here would seem to be very limited. He can play for the Canucks, demand an unlikely trade, move to the KHL, or retire. Any but the first would be quite surprising choices.

7. colby7 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Riddle me this: With every starting goalie being locked down for 7 million per season over 7-8 years (Rinne, Rask, Quick, Lundvist soon) is Luongo’s 5.6 cap hit really that bad?

The cap is going to start slowly rising again and goalie prices are going to continue to go up, 5.6 is going to be the lower end of starting goaltenders.

He could be seen as a value in coming years if he remains resistent to injuries. Obviously some issues near the end of the contract, but the team could always use a regular buy out on him for the last 2 or 3 years.

• ray2013 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

It’s $5.33 million per season, but I hear you.

• colby7 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM

My mistake, really not a bad cap hit. If Luongo was bought out, would he not be seeking 5.33 or MORE over a 5 or 6 year term? Edmonton or Calgary would pay him that in Free Agency.

• ray2013 - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:07 PM

The cap hit was never a problem. If it was $5.5 million a year for 4 years ($22 million), I think that’s reasonable and they can find a trading partner based on the merits of his play.

Had he been bought out, there’s no question in my mind he could be asking $5.5 million a year in a 2-3 year deal, and get it from someone.

The problem is that his contract lasts for the next 9 years, and if he retires before the 9 years is up, this new CBA will put a cap penalty on the team (cap recapture). (Unless he was bought out with a compliance buy-out.)

• r4n6er - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Its 5.3million

8. jernster21 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:19 PM

As entertaining as Luongo is online I don’t care for his play personally. He’s not worth his contract and he’s never going to win a Stanley Cup because he chokes in clutch situations. With that said, what’s up with LeBron-esque press conferences/calls regarding how Luongo feels? Maybe ESPN can set up a spinoff of “The Decision” for Luongo to express his feelings…hell, just schedule an interview on The View.

• colby7 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:39 PM

So which 2 teams gave him this reputation? Boston and Chicago? I really dont see how it is so embarassing to get torched by either of these clubs. They have made other talented teams look just as bad, if not worse.

• jernster21 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I’m not saying he’s a bad goalie by any means, but you get contracts like his because you have aspirations to win a Stanley Cup, not because he’s a good performer in the regular season (which is pretty much exactly why he did get the contract he got….put that on management). There’s something to be said about Rask’s contract – they were 2 games away and lost due to a defensive melt down in 17 seconds. I really feel like the pressure gets to Luongo in the big moments. Maybe they have some scrub to back him up and he doesn’t feel so threatened and it helps, maybe a defensive system under Torts helps, it’s hard to say…just purely based on his play, I don’t feel like Luongo has “another level”, I don’t feel like he’s a playoff performer…just my opinion.

• stakex - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I actually think he’s going to go back to the Canucks without much of a fuss. Lets not forget that the reason he wanted out, and the reason he needed a fresh start was because the Canucks brought in someone else to take over his job. Now that Schneider isn’t there, and the starting job is all his…. there probably won’t be much of an issue.

Now obviously he was jerked around a lot, but Luongo has handled this situation like a true professional. I’m sure he understands the business side of it, and also realizes that his contract is the only reason the Canucks weren’t able to fix the situation sooner. There might be some bad blood, but I doubt its going to be enough to cause problems.

• stakex - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Crap that wasn’t suppose to be a reply.

• jernster21 - Jul 3, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Not that he has much of a choice. His option is to hold out and not get paid, or play as the #1 guy…seems like a pretty easy decision. They can’t move him and get anything worth value (which is funny after they shipped Schneider for only one prospect). Seems like they could have got rid of his contract for that much and been in a way better situation.

• kitshky - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Soo … Rask’s contract makes sense because he got two games away from winning the Stanley Cup because you recognize that it’s not all on a goaltender and even a good/great goaltender is vulnerable to his teams defensive play … but not Luongo because he only got to within one game and had two shutouts in the Stanley Cup Final.

Luongo has won big games in every pressure situation you can think of. Rask is good promising goaltender but Luongo’s career accomplishments literally dwarf Rasks.

$5.3 cap hit in this market is a bloody steal.

• jernster21 - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM

How many times did Rask get pulled and how many times did Luongo get pulled?

• jernster21 - Jul 3, 2013 at 6:30 PM

And comparing cap hit is silly since they were both signed under different CBAs. A luxury under the previous CBA, not so much under the current.

• kitshky - Jul 4, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I’m not comparing the contracts … you are.

All I said was a $5.3M cap hit, even in this market after the new CBA, is a steal.

• hawkeedawg - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Yeah he choked real hard on that Gold Medal!!!

• hawkeedawg - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Yeah he choked really hard on that Gold Medal!!!

• hawkeedawg - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Sorry, my post was in response to jernster21 and his “choke” comment, but it showed up further down the thread.

• jernster21 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:17 AM

And his contract to play in the Olympics was worth so much money too.

9. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Just time for Luongo to suck it up and earn the money his employer is paying him to stop pucks. Period! I no doubt that he will do that.

10. hosewater2 - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM

So what are ALL of his options? Obviously he can just play, I guess he could hold out and get suspended for not reporting, but can he and the club mutually agree to void his contract and just walk away? Need a sports lawyer.

• dueman - Jul 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM

He and the club can squash the contract without a problem. If he wants to and they don’t, he can just retire and kill them with cap penalties if they refuse. That would be karma!

• hawkeedawg - Jul 4, 2013 at 12:15 AM

No they can’t squash the contract, NHLPA does not allow that. If you actually thought about what you posted, then why haven’t any other player/clubs “squashed” contracts.

Get your facts straight man.

11. blackhawks2010 - Jul 3, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Who cares what Loungo has to say. Win a Cup and I will listen, otherwise, shut up and learn how to play goalie when it matters.

12. frankiesweep - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM

LONG LIVE THE STROMBONE!

• frankiesweep - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Call Timmy Thomas! A goalie who can handle pressure!!!!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jul 4, 2013 at 2:44 AM

I wonder how Timmy would like playing in Canada, where they have strict gun control, gay marriage and universal health coverage.

13. 13datsyuk13 - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Pay me that contract and you can jerk me around all you want.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches