Jul 3, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
In his first public interview since the Canucks traded Cory Schneider at the draft, goalie Roberto Luongo is scheduled to talk with Vancouver radio station CFOX tomorrow at 9 a.m. local time.
Suffice to say, it may be worth a listen.
Update: It’s possible the interview has been canceled. We emailed the radio station this afternoon but didn’t hear anything back.
Update 2: Just heard back. The interview is indeed off. No reason given.
Luongo, 34, has only been quoted once since the Schneider trade, by TSN’s James Duthie on Sunday.
“I’m shocked,” Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.”
Luongo has also tweeted twice, the first time to make a joke…
…the second to offer his support for Schneider…
But it’s still unclear how Luongo feels about returning for next season (and beyond) as Vancouver’s starter.
It’s been widely reported that he desired a fresh start elsewhere, and that’s what general manager Mike Gillis tried to accommodate.
In May, after the Canucks were swept out of the playoffs, Gillis said it was “unlikely” that the veteran goalie would be back.
But Gillis never did trade Luongo, largely blaming provisions in the new CBA for being unable to move the $64 million front-loaded contract.
Obviously, it’s been quite the emotional roller-coaster ride for Luongo. Last July, also on CFOX, he all but assured listeners that his time in Vancouver was over.
“Never say never, but I think we all know what’s going on, we’ve all seen what’s developed,” he said. “At the end of the day I think it’s time to move on, and I’m OK with that. I’ve had a great six years in Vancouver and I think it’s a wonderful city. I really enjoyed my time there. Sadly I could never win a Cup there, which is probably my greatest regret, but it was a great six years.”
Never say never, indeed.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)