Jul 3, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
In his first public interview since the Canucks traded Cory Schneider at the draft, goalie Roberto Luongo is scheduled to talk with Vancouver radio station CFOX tomorrow at 9 a.m. local time.
Suffice to say, it may be worth a listen.
Update: It’s possible the interview has been canceled. We emailed the radio station this afternoon but didn’t hear anything back.
Update 2: Just heard back. The interview is indeed off. No reason given.
Luongo, 34, has only been quoted once since the Schneider trade, by TSN’s James Duthie on Sunday.
“I’m shocked,” Luongo told Duthie. “I have to let this sink in and figure out what I’m going to do.”
Luongo has also tweeted twice, the first time to make a joke…
…the second to offer his support for Schneider…
But it’s still unclear how Luongo feels about returning for next season (and beyond) as Vancouver’s starter.
It’s been widely reported that he desired a fresh start elsewhere, and that’s what general manager Mike Gillis tried to accommodate.
In May, after the Canucks were swept out of the playoffs, Gillis said it was “unlikely” that the veteran goalie would be back.
But Gillis never did trade Luongo, largely blaming provisions in the new CBA for being unable to move the $64 million front-loaded contract.
Obviously, it’s been quite the emotional roller-coaster ride for Luongo. Last July, also on CFOX, he all but assured listeners that his time in Vancouver was over.
“Never say never, but I think we all know what’s going on, we’ve all seen what’s developed,” he said. “At the end of the day I think it’s time to move on, and I’m OK with that. I’ve had a great six years in Vancouver and I think it’s a wonderful city. I really enjoyed my time there. Sadly I could never win a Cup there, which is probably my greatest regret, but it was a great six years.”
Never say never, indeed.
Tortorella also going to Florida to try and break bread with Luongo. Canucks should invest in some real estate.—
Jason Botchford (@botchford) July 03, 2013
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)