Jul 3, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
The New York Islanders officially announced today that they’ve used a compliance buyout on 31-year-old goalie Rick DiPietro.
“It was an extremely tough decision to use the compliance buyout on Rick’s contract,” Islanders general manager Garth Snow said. “His drive to win games and compete at the highest level for the New York Islanders was never questioned. With Rick back at 100% health, we wish him nothing but the best as he continues to pursue his career.”
For the injury-riddled DiPietro, it means he’ll be paid $1.5 million per year through 2028-29 and is now an unrestricted free agent.
For the Isles, it means ridding themselves of a bad contract, with no long-term cap consequences.
Of course, who will be in goal for the Islanders next season remains up in the air. Inexperienced netminders Kevin Poulin and Anders Nilsson are currently one-two on the depth chart, with last year’s starter, Evgeni Nabokov, expected to test free agency.
The Isles had previously been mentioned in trade speculation related to Jonathan Bernier (traded to Toronto), Cory Schneider (traded to New Jersey), and Roberto Luongo (staying in Vancouver, most likely).
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 7
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)