Jul 3, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Looks as though Nathan Gerbe‘s time in Buffalo is up.
The Sabres put Gerbe on waivers Wednesday with the purpose of buying out his contract, the Buffalo News reports (as per TSN).
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — has spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo, scoring a career-high 16 goals and 31 points during the 2010-11 campaign.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
The former Boston College standout has one year left on his three-year, $4.35 million deal.
UPDATE: The Sabres have informed the Buffalo News it’s a regular buyout of Gerbe’s deal, not a compliance buyout. So they’re on the hook for all of his cap hit.
It should be noted that GM Darcy Regier has said numerous times this offseason that the club didn’t expect to use its compliance buyouts — including during yesterday’s free agency preview presser.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)