Jul 3, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Looks as though Nathan Gerbe‘s time in Buffalo is up.
The Sabres put Gerbe on waivers Wednesday with the purpose of buying out his contract, the Buffalo News reports (as per TSN).
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — has spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo, scoring a career-high 16 goals and 31 points during the 2010-11 campaign.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
The former Boston College standout has one year left on his three-year, $4.35 million deal.
UPDATE: The Sabres have informed the Buffalo News it’s a regular buyout of Gerbe’s deal, not a compliance buyout. So they’re on the hook for all of his cap hit.
It should be noted that GM Darcy Regier has said numerous times this offseason that the club didn’t expect to use its compliance buyouts — including during yesterday’s free agency preview presser.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 3
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 19
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)