Jul 3, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Looks as though Nathan Gerbe‘s time in Buffalo is up.
The Sabres put Gerbe on waivers Wednesday with the purpose of buying out his contract, the Buffalo News reports (as per TSN).
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — has spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo, scoring a career-high 16 goals and 31 points during the 2010-11 campaign.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
The former Boston College standout has one year left on his three-year, $4.35 million deal.
UPDATE: The Sabres have informed the Buffalo News it’s a regular buyout of Gerbe’s deal, not a compliance buyout. So they’re on the hook for all of his cap hit.
It should be noted that GM Darcy Regier has said numerous times this offseason that the club didn’t expect to use its compliance buyouts — including during yesterday’s free agency preview presser.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)