Jul 3, 2013, 1:06 PM EDT
Looks as though Nathan Gerbe‘s time in Buffalo is up.
The Sabres put Gerbe on waivers Wednesday with the purpose of buying out his contract, the Buffalo News reports (as per TSN).
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — has spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo, scoring a career-high 16 goals and 31 points during the 2010-11 campaign.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
The former Boston College standout has one year left on his three-year, $4.35 million deal.
UPDATE: The Sabres have informed the Buffalo News it’s a regular buyout of Gerbe’s deal, not a compliance buyout. So they’re on the hook for all of his cap hit.
It should be noted that GM Darcy Regier has said numerous times this offseason that the club didn’t expect to use its compliance buyouts — including during yesterday’s free agency preview presser.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)