Jul 3, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
Looks as though Nathan Gerbe‘s time in Buffalo is up.
The Sabres put Gerbe on waivers Wednesday with the purpose of buying out his contract, the Buffalo News reports (as per TSN).
Gerbe — who, at 5-foot-5, is the NHL’s shortest player — has spent his entire five-year career in Buffalo, scoring a career-high 16 goals and 31 points during the 2010-11 campaign.
The 25-year-old had struggled with health issues over the last few years. He began this season on injured reserve after undergoing back/neck surgery during the lockout and, when activated, failed to make much of an impact offensively, scoring just 5G-5A-10PTS in 42 games.
The former Boston College standout has one year left on his three-year, $4.35 million deal.
UPDATE: The Sabres have informed the Buffalo News it’s a regular buyout of Gerbe’s deal, not a compliance buyout. So they’re on the hook for all of his cap hit.
It should be noted that GM Darcy Regier has said numerous times this offseason that the club didn’t expect to use its compliance buyouts — including during yesterday’s free agency preview presser.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)