Jul 3, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Not so fast.
The Panthers didn’t make a qualifying offer to the 25-year-old restricted free agent — making him an unrestricted free agent — explaining that the issue is Mueller’s contractual status.
“He has arbitration rights. We’re still negotiating with him,” Florida GM Dale Tallon told the Sun-Sentinel. “We’d like to keep him, but it’s just a matter of what the right number is as far as our budget is.
“We were fearful if he went to arbitration we wouldn’t be able to afford it.”
While that explanation works — Mueller made $1.7 million last year, and is in line for a raise — it’s hard to imagine Mueller getting a bank-breaking deal from arbitration, given he only scored 17 points last year.
The bigger issue, it seems, is that Mueller’s a center.
Florida surprised some at Sunday’s draft by taking Aleksander Barkov with the No. 2 overall pick — many figured they’d go with defenseman Seth Jones — but taking the Finnish center added to Florida’s stable of talented, young centers: Barkov, Drew Shore, Nick Bjugstad and Vincent Trochek.
Still, it’s hard to imagine Florida letting Mueller walk altogether.
He rebounded from severe concussion issues (didn’t play at all during the 2010-11 season) to earn the aforementioned Masterton nomination.
The former eighth overall pick also often skated on the club’s top line last season with Shore and Calder winner Jonathan Huberdeau.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)