Jul 3, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Not so fast.
The Panthers didn’t make a qualifying offer to the 25-year-old restricted free agent — making him an unrestricted free agent — explaining that the issue is Mueller’s contractual status.
“He has arbitration rights. We’re still negotiating with him,” Florida GM Dale Tallon told the Sun-Sentinel. “We’d like to keep him, but it’s just a matter of what the right number is as far as our budget is.
“We were fearful if he went to arbitration we wouldn’t be able to afford it.”
While that explanation works — Mueller made $1.7 million last year, and is in line for a raise — it’s hard to imagine Mueller getting a bank-breaking deal from arbitration, given he only scored 17 points last year.
The bigger issue, it seems, is that Mueller’s a center.
Florida surprised some at Sunday’s draft by taking Aleksander Barkov with the No. 2 overall pick — many figured they’d go with defenseman Seth Jones — but taking the Finnish center added to Florida’s stable of talented, young centers: Barkov, Drew Shore, Nick Bjugstad and Vincent Trochek.
Still, it’s hard to imagine Florida letting Mueller walk altogether.
He rebounded from severe concussion issues (didn’t play at all during the 2010-11 season) to earn the aforementioned Masterton nomination.
The former eighth overall pick also often skated on the club’s top line last season with Shore and Calder winner Jonathan Huberdeau.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (89)