Jul 3, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
The NHL has announced that Alex Ovechkin has been named to its 2013 All-Star team.
Check that — teams.
Ovechkin, the Hart Trophy winner as league MVP, received enough votes from the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association to earn the right wing spot on the first team…and enough votes to earn the left wing spot on the second team.
The news, as you’d expect, has drawn some criticism:
Larry Brooks, New York Post
Well, at least nobody voted for Lundqvist to be all star center. This Ovechkin thing is a fiasco for all involved, voters and NHL…
— Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) July 3, 2013
Craig Custance, ESPN
To me, it would make sense to ditch the LW and RW designations for All-Star voting. Just go with a center and two wings.
— Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) July 3, 2013
Stephen Whyno, Canadian Press
I’m a proud member of @ThePHWA. We all make mistakes. This one on Ovechkin was a major one.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) July 3, 2013
Nick Cotsonika, Yahoo!
The Ovechkin all-star vote is an embarrassment to the PHWA. No excuses. Period.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) July 3, 2013
This development overshadowed the fact other players were awarded for their achievements this season (and no, not every spot went to Ovechkin).
Here are the All-Star Teams:
D: P.K. Subban
D: Ryan Suter
RW: Alex Ovechkin
LW: Chris Kunitz
D: Kris Letang
RW: Martin St. Louis
LW: Alex Ovechkin
In case you’re curious, the PHWA did send out an email to members specifying that Ovechkin had been playing right wing this season.
So, on the premise left wing votes were erroneous, it’s Edmonton’s Taylor Hall getting the shaft. He finished third among all left wingers in voting, with 205 — 12 fewer than Ovechkin.
Mar 11, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
Nothing’s official, but it sounds like he’ll stick with the Buffalo Sabres after all.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:43 AM EDT
Washington desperately needs the two points.
Mar 11, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 1
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 22
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)