Jul 3, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
The NHL has announced that Alex Ovechkin has been named to its 2013 All-Star team.
Check that — teams.
Ovechkin, the Hart Trophy winner as league MVP, received enough votes from the Professional Hockey Writers’ Association to earn the right wing spot on the first team…and enough votes to earn the left wing spot on the second team.
The news, as you’d expect, has drawn some criticism:
Larry Brooks, New York Post
Well, at least nobody voted for Lundqvist to be all star center. This Ovechkin thing is a fiasco for all involved, voters and NHL…
— Larry Brooks (@NYP_Brooksie) July 3, 2013
Craig Custance, ESPN
To me, it would make sense to ditch the LW and RW designations for All-Star voting. Just go with a center and two wings.
— Craig Custance (@CraigCustance) July 3, 2013
Stephen Whyno, Canadian Press
I’m a proud member of @ThePHWA. We all make mistakes. This one on Ovechkin was a major one.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) July 3, 2013
Nick Cotsonika, Yahoo!
The Ovechkin all-star vote is an embarrassment to the PHWA. No excuses. Period.
— Nick Cotsonika (@cotsonika) July 3, 2013
This development overshadowed the fact other players were awarded for their achievements this season (and no, not every spot went to Ovechkin).
Here are the All-Star Teams:
D: P.K. Subban
D: Ryan Suter
RW: Alex Ovechkin
LW: Chris Kunitz
D: Kris Letang
RW: Martin St. Louis
LW: Alex Ovechkin
In case you’re curious, the PHWA did send out an email to members specifying that Ovechkin had been playing right wing this season.
So, on the premise left wing votes were erroneous, it’s Edmonton’s Taylor Hall getting the shaft. He finished third among all left wingers in voting, with 205 — 12 fewer than Ovechkin.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Will he make the 2015-16 Flyers?
Jul 4, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Washington’s AHL tandem has more NHL playing experience than Holtby and Grubauer.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He usually gets at least one stint in the NHL per season.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT
The two sides reportedly aren’t close to an agreement.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
What role he has could depend on the Kings and league’s decision regarding Slava Voynov.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)