Jul 3, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Which begs the question — what does his current goalie think of all this?
“It’s a little surprising to me,” incumbent No. 1 Devan Dubnyk told the Edmonton Journal. “To my eyes, I can’t see a reason for it.”
Dubnyk, 27, handled a full-time starter’s gig for the first time last season (appearing in 79 percent of games; previous high was 57), and performed reasonably well.
While his record (14-16-6) left something to be desired, he finished with a .920 save percentage and 2.57 GAA, solid numbers considering the Oilers weren’t exactly playing airtight defense in front of him.
What’s more, he’s got a contract.
Edmonton inked Dubnyk to a two-year, $7 million deal in 2012, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $3.5 million.
While not a massive sum, it’s still more than Niklas Backstrom‘s new deal in Minnesota ($3.4 million), Craig Anderson‘s in Ottawa ($3.1 million) and Semyon Varlamov‘s in Colorado ($2.8 million) — and all those guys are firmly entrenched as No. 1 netminders.
Dubnyk said he’s ready to be a “60-game goalie” this season and prepared to lead the Oilers in a playoff push.
But, he also concedes MacTavish’s moves stung a bit.
“My job is to try and stop pucks,” he explained. “It was surprising and disappointing, but right now, not much has changed.
“Until I’m told otherwise that I’m not No. 1, that’s where my head’s at.”
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)