Jul 3, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Which begs the question — what does his current goalie think of all this?
“It’s a little surprising to me,” incumbent No. 1 Devan Dubnyk told the Edmonton Journal. “To my eyes, I can’t see a reason for it.”
Dubnyk, 27, handled a full-time starter’s gig for the first time last season (appearing in 79 percent of games; previous high was 57), and performed reasonably well.
While his record (14-16-6) left something to be desired, he finished with a .920 save percentage and 2.57 GAA, solid numbers considering the Oilers weren’t exactly playing airtight defense in front of him.
What’s more, he’s got a contract.
Edmonton inked Dubnyk to a two-year, $7 million deal in 2012, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $3.5 million.
While not a massive sum, it’s still more than Niklas Backstrom‘s new deal in Minnesota ($3.4 million), Craig Anderson‘s in Ottawa ($3.1 million) and Semyon Varlamov‘s in Colorado ($2.8 million) — and all those guys are firmly entrenched as No. 1 netminders.
Dubnyk said he’s ready to be a “60-game goalie” this season and prepared to lead the Oilers in a playoff push.
But, he also concedes MacTavish’s moves stung a bit.
“My job is to try and stop pucks,” he explained. “It was surprising and disappointing, but right now, not much has changed.
“Until I’m told otherwise that I’m not No. 1, that’s where my head’s at.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)