Jul 3, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Which begs the question — what does his current goalie think of all this?
“It’s a little surprising to me,” incumbent No. 1 Devan Dubnyk told the Edmonton Journal. “To my eyes, I can’t see a reason for it.”
Dubnyk, 27, handled a full-time starter’s gig for the first time last season (appearing in 79 percent of games; previous high was 57), and performed reasonably well.
While his record (14-16-6) left something to be desired, he finished with a .920 save percentage and 2.57 GAA, solid numbers considering the Oilers weren’t exactly playing airtight defense in front of him.
What’s more, he’s got a contract.
Edmonton inked Dubnyk to a two-year, $7 million deal in 2012, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $3.5 million.
While not a massive sum, it’s still more than Niklas Backstrom‘s new deal in Minnesota ($3.4 million), Craig Anderson‘s in Ottawa ($3.1 million) and Semyon Varlamov‘s in Colorado ($2.8 million) — and all those guys are firmly entrenched as No. 1 netminders.
Dubnyk said he’s ready to be a “60-game goalie” this season and prepared to lead the Oilers in a playoff push.
But, he also concedes MacTavish’s moves stung a bit.
“My job is to try and stop pucks,” he explained. “It was surprising and disappointing, but right now, not much has changed.
“Until I’m told otherwise that I’m not No. 1, that’s where my head’s at.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)