Jul 3, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Which begs the question — what does his current goalie think of all this?
“It’s a little surprising to me,” incumbent No. 1 Devan Dubnyk told the Edmonton Journal. “To my eyes, I can’t see a reason for it.”
Dubnyk, 27, handled a full-time starter’s gig for the first time last season (appearing in 79 percent of games; previous high was 57), and performed reasonably well.
While his record (14-16-6) left something to be desired, he finished with a .920 save percentage and 2.57 GAA, solid numbers considering the Oilers weren’t exactly playing airtight defense in front of him.
What’s more, he’s got a contract.
Edmonton inked Dubnyk to a two-year, $7 million deal in 2012, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $3.5 million.
While not a massive sum, it’s still more than Niklas Backstrom‘s new deal in Minnesota ($3.4 million), Craig Anderson‘s in Ottawa ($3.1 million) and Semyon Varlamov‘s in Colorado ($2.8 million) — and all those guys are firmly entrenched as No. 1 netminders.
Dubnyk said he’s ready to be a “60-game goalie” this season and prepared to lead the Oilers in a playoff push.
But, he also concedes MacTavish’s moves stung a bit.
“My job is to try and stop pucks,” he explained. “It was surprising and disappointing, but right now, not much has changed.
“Until I’m told otherwise that I’m not No. 1, that’s where my head’s at.”
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)