Jul 3, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
Which begs the question — what does his current goalie think of all this?
“It’s a little surprising to me,” incumbent No. 1 Devan Dubnyk told the Edmonton Journal. “To my eyes, I can’t see a reason for it.”
Dubnyk, 27, handled a full-time starter’s gig for the first time last season (appearing in 79 percent of games; previous high was 57), and performed reasonably well.
While his record (14-16-6) left something to be desired, he finished with a .920 save percentage and 2.57 GAA, solid numbers considering the Oilers weren’t exactly playing airtight defense in front of him.
What’s more, he’s got a contract.
Edmonton inked Dubnyk to a two-year, $7 million deal in 2012, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $3.5 million.
While not a massive sum, it’s still more than Niklas Backstrom‘s new deal in Minnesota ($3.4 million), Craig Anderson‘s in Ottawa ($3.1 million) and Semyon Varlamov‘s in Colorado ($2.8 million) — and all those guys are firmly entrenched as No. 1 netminders.
Dubnyk said he’s ready to be a “60-game goalie” this season and prepared to lead the Oilers in a playoff push.
But, he also concedes MacTavish’s moves stung a bit.
“My job is to try and stop pucks,” he explained. “It was surprising and disappointing, but right now, not much has changed.
“Until I’m told otherwise that I’m not No. 1, that’s where my head’s at.”
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)