Jul 3, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
The New York Islanders finally did what seemed inevitable, buying out star-crossed goalie Rick DiPietro on Wednesday.
Many believe this will represent the end of the line for the 31-year-old netminder, but he told New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple that he isn’t ready to hang up his skates.
“I definitely want to play,” DiPietro said.
The injury-ravaged goalie insists he’s healthier than he’s been in a long time.
That’s going to be a hard sell. Just check out his games played total since everything fell apart following the 2007-08 season, his lone All-Star campaign:
2008-09: five games played
09-10: 8 GP
10-11: 26 GP
11-12: 8 GP
12-13: 3 GP
Part of last season’s low workload had to do with spending most of his time in the AHL, but that’s still a rough run, especially since his save percentage peaked at .900 in 2009-10.
DiPietro expressed gratitude to the Islanders organization, even if he’s sad to leave when the team seems to be on an upward trend.
“The Isles are finally (turning a corner) and the most disappointing part is that I won’t be a part of it,” DiPietro said. It was a great 13 years … I can’t say how much I appreciate everything Charles (Wang) and the Isles did for me.”
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 16
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)