Jul 3, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
The New York Islanders finally did what seemed inevitable, buying out star-crossed goalie Rick DiPietro on Wednesday.
Many believe this will represent the end of the line for the 31-year-old netminder, but he told New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple that he isn’t ready to hang up his skates.
“I definitely want to play,” DiPietro said.
The injury-ravaged goalie insists he’s healthier than he’s been in a long time.
That’s going to be a hard sell. Just check out his games played total since everything fell apart following the 2007-08 season, his lone All-Star campaign:
2008-09: five games played
09-10: 8 GP
10-11: 26 GP
11-12: 8 GP
12-13: 3 GP
Part of last season’s low workload had to do with spending most of his time in the AHL, but that’s still a rough run, especially since his save percentage peaked at .900 in 2009-10.
DiPietro expressed gratitude to the Islanders organization, even if he’s sad to leave when the team seems to be on an upward trend.
“The Isles are finally (turning a corner) and the most disappointing part is that I won’t be a part of it,” DiPietro said. It was a great 13 years … I can’t say how much I appreciate everything Charles (Wang) and the Isles did for me.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 32
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)