Jul 3, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
The New York Islanders finally did what seemed inevitable, buying out star-crossed goalie Rick DiPietro on Wednesday.
Many believe this will represent the end of the line for the 31-year-old netminder, but he told New York Newsday’s Arthur Staple that he isn’t ready to hang up his skates.
“I definitely want to play,” DiPietro said.
The injury-ravaged goalie insists he’s healthier than he’s been in a long time.
That’s going to be a hard sell. Just check out his games played total since everything fell apart following the 2007-08 season, his lone All-Star campaign:
2008-09: five games played
09-10: 8 GP
10-11: 26 GP
11-12: 8 GP
12-13: 3 GP
Part of last season’s low workload had to do with spending most of his time in the AHL, but that’s still a rough run, especially since his save percentage peaked at .900 in 2009-10.
DiPietro expressed gratitude to the Islanders organization, even if he’s sad to leave when the team seems to be on an upward trend.
“The Isles are finally (turning a corner) and the most disappointing part is that I won’t be a part of it,” DiPietro said. It was a great 13 years … I can’t say how much I appreciate everything Charles (Wang) and the Isles did for me.”
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)