Jul 3, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
On Monday, the Canucks placed Keith Ballard on regular waivers with the intention of buying out his contract.
Today, they informed the much-maligned defenseman they were going to do exactly that.
Ballard’s agent, Ben Hankinson, told News1130 Sports Vancouver that Canuck brass informed his client the remaining two years and $8.4 million of his contract would be bought out.
The move comes after Ballard cleared waivers and the Canucks “pushed the trade front” leading up to Sunday’s draft, according to Hankinson.
A former Coyote and Panther that scored 39 points in his rookie campaign, Ballard never found his fit in Vancouver after being acquired from Florida for a relatively steep price — Michael Grabner, Steve Bernier and Vancouver’s first-round pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, which the Panthers used to select Quinton Howden.
Ballard was often made a healthy scratch under head coach Alain Vigneault, and even got a brief twirl at forward as the club tried to implement him into the lineup however possible.
In the end, though, the club clearly didn’t trust him in important moments. The Canucks have played 34 postseason games since Ballard came aboard; he only played in 14 of them.
With the move, Vancouver gains some much-needed cap space (it now has $7.4 million, according to CapGeek.)
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 0
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 20
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 11
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)