Jul 3, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
It was hard to believe that among a group of veteran defenseman, the most consistent at times would be the young, up-and-coming Chris Tanev.
A smart, puck-moving – but perhaps undersized at 6’2″ and just 185 pounds – blue liner with the Vancouver Canucks, the 23-year-old Tanev was slated to become a restricted free agent.
The Canucks extended him a qualifying offer on Tuesday, as per Jim Jamieson of The Province. His previous contract – a three-year entry level deal worth $2.7 million and a cap hit of just $900,000 was set to expire.
Never drafted, Tanev proved his rising value again last season, scoring the first two goals of his National Hockey League career. In three seasons with Vancouver, he’s played 92 regular season games.
Last season, he stayed with the Canucks roster on a full-time basis for the first time in his career.
During the negotiation process with the Canucks, Tanev originally was representing himself, with his father, Mike, lending a helping hand.
That plan changed course, and Tanev eventually hired agent Ross Gurney.
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 0
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 8
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 18
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)