Jul 3, 2013, 9:20 AM EST
It was hard to believe that among a group of veteran defenseman, the most consistent at times would be the young, up-and-coming Chris Tanev.
A smart, puck-moving – but perhaps undersized at 6’2″ and just 185 pounds – blue liner with the Vancouver Canucks, the 23-year-old Tanev was slated to become a restricted free agent.
The Canucks extended him a qualifying offer on Tuesday, as per Jim Jamieson of The Province. His previous contract – a three-year entry level deal worth $2.7 million and a cap hit of just $900,000 was set to expire.
Never drafted, Tanev proved his rising value again last season, scoring the first two goals of his National Hockey League career. In three seasons with Vancouver, he’s played 92 regular season games.
Last season, he stayed with the Canucks roster on a full-time basis for the first time in his career.
During the negotiation process with the Canucks, Tanev originally was representing himself, with his father, Mike, lending a helping hand.
That plan changed course, and Tanev eventually hired agent Ross Gurney.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 83
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (83)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)