Jul 3, 2013, 9:20 AM EDT
It was hard to believe that among a group of veteran defenseman, the most consistent at times would be the young, up-and-coming Chris Tanev.
A smart, puck-moving – but perhaps undersized at 6’2″ and just 185 pounds – blue liner with the Vancouver Canucks, the 23-year-old Tanev was slated to become a restricted free agent.
The Canucks extended him a qualifying offer on Tuesday, as per Jim Jamieson of The Province. His previous contract – a three-year entry level deal worth $2.7 million and a cap hit of just $900,000 was set to expire.
Never drafted, Tanev proved his rising value again last season, scoring the first two goals of his National Hockey League career. In three seasons with Vancouver, he’s played 92 regular season games.
Last season, he stayed with the Canucks roster on a full-time basis for the first time in his career.
During the negotiation process with the Canucks, Tanev originally was representing himself, with his father, Mike, lending a helping hand.
That plan changed course, and Tanev eventually hired agent Ross Gurney.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)