Jul 3, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will have both of their trade deadline acquisitions in the lineup next season.
On Wednesday, the club announced it re-signed defenseman Jordan Leopold to a two-year, $4.5 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $2.25 million.
Leopold, 32, came to St. Louis from Buffalo in April for a pair of picks at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, and proceeded to score two points in 15 regular season games with the Blues, averaging 18:22 TOI.
The 10-year veteran also appeared in all six of St. Louis’ postseason games, averaging 16:33 per contest.
The Leopold signing coincides with St. Louis putting Kris Russell on waivers yesterday.
The Blues now have seven defensemen under contract for next season — including Jay Bouwmeester, St. Louis’ other big defensive trade deadline acquisition — and still need to reach a deal with RFA Alex Pietrangelo.
Here’s more on the Russell situation, from TrueHockey’s Andy Strickland:
With St. Louis sending Russell his qualifying offer the team finds themselves in a tough spot. If he goes unclaimed he’ll have the option of accepting the Blues $1.3 million QO or taking the club to arbitration. He could receive even more than $1.3 million in an arbitration case.
Russell could fetch $2 million in arbitration and the Blues would be stuck paying him. Under the new CBA teams can’t walk away from any award below $3.5 million.
It goes without saying they’ve looked into trading the player and appear to have come up empty.
Strickland also notes the Blues have offered Russell $1.5 million for next season.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54