Jul 3, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues will have both of their trade deadline acquisitions in the lineup next season.
On Wednesday, the club announced it re-signed defenseman Jordan Leopold to a two-year, $4.5 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $2.25 million.
Leopold, 32, came to St. Louis from Buffalo in April for a pair of picks at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, and proceeded to score two points in 15 regular season games with the Blues, averaging 18:22 TOI.
The 10-year veteran also appeared in all six of St. Louis’ postseason games, averaging 16:33 per contest.
The Leopold signing coincides with St. Louis putting Kris Russell on waivers yesterday.
The Blues now have seven defensemen under contract for next season — including Jay Bouwmeester, St. Louis’ other big defensive trade deadline acquisition — and still need to reach a deal with RFA Alex Pietrangelo.
Here’s more on the Russell situation, from TrueHockey’s Andy Strickland:
With St. Louis sending Russell his qualifying offer the team finds themselves in a tough spot. If he goes unclaimed he’ll have the option of accepting the Blues $1.3 million QO or taking the club to arbitration. He could receive even more than $1.3 million in an arbitration case.
Russell could fetch $2 million in arbitration and the Blues would be stuck paying him. Under the new CBA teams can’t walk away from any award below $3.5 million.
It goes without saying they’ve looked into trading the player and appear to have come up empty.
Strickland also notes the Blues have offered Russell $1.5 million for next season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)