Jul 3, 2013, 7:54 AM EDT
The ESPY Award for Best Team will be decided by the people.
And the Chicago Blackhawks, the 2013 Stanley Cup winners and record-breakers from the regular season, are among a group of teams from various sports up for the award.
The list includes the U.S. Women’s Gymnastics team, San Francisco Giants, Alabama Football, Baltimore Ravens, Miami Heat and Oklahoma Softball.
The Blackhawks not only claimed the championship in dramatic fashion, but they won the Presidents’ Trophy as the league’s top regular season team, with a record of 36-7-5.
They also made history by going 24 straight games without a regulation loss to begin the regular season, which also included a franchise-best 11-game winning streak, as per the Chicago Tribune.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)