Jul 2, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
The Flames are in need of help up front and they went out and got some today.
ESPN.com’s Pierre LeBrun reports Calgary acquired forward T.J. Galiardi from the San Jose Sharks for a 2015 fourth-round draft pick. Calgary also announced they’re re-signed Galiardi to a one-year deal worth $1.25 million. For the Flames it gives them some forward depth, but for the Sharks they’re clearing room.
San Jose acquired Tyler Kennedy from the Penguins on Sunday and they’ve got prospect Tomas Hertl coming through the pipeline as well at center. With Galiardi, San Jose had too many centers and not enough open positions on their third and fourth lines.
Calgary, meanwhile, has a dearth of centermen. Their first-round pick this year, Sean Monahan, could slide into a starting role right away this coming season. Matt Stajan is on the downside of his career and Mike Cammalleri is a player GM Jay Feaster has been trying to move.
It’s a little ugly in Calgary to say the least. Galiardi will give them help on their third line and provide them with a decent penalty killer.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)