Jul 2, 2013, 12:39 PM EDT
The waiver wire picked up a little bit today and the Colorado Avalanche figured heavily into that.
The Avs placed defensemen Greg Zanon and Matt Hunwick on regular waivers. Both players played heavy minutes for Colorado last season and, eerily enough, both finished the year with no goals and six assists.
With these two going on waivers it makes Colorado’s decision to draft Nathan MacKinnon over Seth Jones a bit more intriguing. In truth, Colorado is likely clearing room for youngsters Stefan Elliott and Tyson Barrie to play more next season.
Elsewhere, Nashville placed 6’7″ defenseman Hal Gill on waivers while St. Louis did the same with Kris Russell. Predators GM David Poile said that by drafting Seth Jones they didn’t have room for Gill next season. Russell, meanwhile, is a restricted free agent so any team could grab his rights to sign him to a new deal.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)