Jul 2, 2013, 12:39 PM EST
The waiver wire picked up a little bit today and the Colorado Avalanche figured heavily into that.
The Avs placed defensemen Greg Zanon and Matt Hunwick on regular waivers. Both players played heavy minutes for Colorado last season and, eerily enough, both finished the year with no goals and six assists.
With these two going on waivers it makes Colorado’s decision to draft Nathan MacKinnon over Seth Jones a bit more intriguing. In truth, Colorado is likely clearing room for youngsters Stefan Elliott and Tyson Barrie to play more next season.
Elsewhere, Nashville placed 6’7″ defenseman Hal Gill on waivers while St. Louis did the same with Kris Russell. Predators GM David Poile said that by drafting Seth Jones they didn’t have room for Gill next season. Russell, meanwhile, is a restricted free agent so any team could grab his rights to sign him to a new deal.
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvrith makes Sabres debut 0
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 17
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 33
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 33
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)