Jul 2, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Gazdic, 23, hasn’t played in the NHL yet. He recorded 11 points and 80 penalty minutes in 59 AHL games with the Texas Stars in 2013. 23-year-old MacDermid scored twice and recorded 19 penalty minutes in nine games with the Dallas Stars and Boston Bruins last season.
The Stars also decided not to present qualifying offers to goaltender Richard Bachman or defenseman Jordie Benn. As a result, the two 25-year-old players are eligible to test the unrestricted free agent waters on July 5.
That being said, the Stars might still have interest in retaining both players’ services. The main reason they weren’t qualified is because they would have had arbitration rights.
Richard Bachman had a 3.25 GAA and .885 save percentage in 13 games with the Stars last season. Jordie Benn, the older brother of rising star Jamie Benn, had a goal and six points in 26 games.
Finally, 26-year-old forward Tom Wandell was also denied a qualifying offer, but the difference is that it sounds like he’s more likely to end up with another organization. He had a goal in 18 games with Dallas in 2013.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 61
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63