Jul 2, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Gazdic, 23, hasn’t played in the NHL yet. He recorded 11 points and 80 penalty minutes in 59 AHL games with the Texas Stars in 2013. 23-year-old MacDermid scored twice and recorded 19 penalty minutes in nine games with the Dallas Stars and Boston Bruins last season.
The Stars also decided not to present qualifying offers to goaltender Richard Bachman or defenseman Jordie Benn. As a result, the two 25-year-old players are eligible to test the unrestricted free agent waters on July 5.
That being said, the Stars might still have interest in retaining both players’ services. The main reason they weren’t qualified is because they would have had arbitration rights.
Richard Bachman had a 3.25 GAA and .885 save percentage in 13 games with the Stars last season. Jordie Benn, the older brother of rising star Jamie Benn, had a goal and six points in 26 games.
Finally, 26-year-old forward Tom Wandell was also denied a qualifying offer, but the difference is that it sounds like he’s more likely to end up with another organization. He had a goal in 18 games with Dallas in 2013.
- In praise of John Tavares 0
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 7
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31