Jul 2, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Gazdic, 23, hasn’t played in the NHL yet. He recorded 11 points and 80 penalty minutes in 59 AHL games with the Texas Stars in 2013. 23-year-old MacDermid scored twice and recorded 19 penalty minutes in nine games with the Dallas Stars and Boston Bruins last season.
The Stars also decided not to present qualifying offers to goaltender Richard Bachman or defenseman Jordie Benn. As a result, the two 25-year-old players are eligible to test the unrestricted free agent waters on July 5.
That being said, the Stars might still have interest in retaining both players’ services. The main reason they weren’t qualified is because they would have had arbitration rights.
Richard Bachman had a 3.25 GAA and .885 save percentage in 13 games with the Stars last season. Jordie Benn, the older brother of rising star Jamie Benn, had a goal and six points in 26 games.
Finally, 26-year-old forward Tom Wandell was also denied a qualifying offer, but the difference is that it sounds like he’s more likely to end up with another organization. He had a goal in 18 games with Dallas in 2013.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)