Jul 2, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
Gazdic, 23, hasn’t played in the NHL yet. He recorded 11 points and 80 penalty minutes in 59 AHL games with the Texas Stars in 2013. 23-year-old MacDermid scored twice and recorded 19 penalty minutes in nine games with the Dallas Stars and Boston Bruins last season.
The Stars also decided not to present qualifying offers to goaltender Richard Bachman or defenseman Jordie Benn. As a result, the two 25-year-old players are eligible to test the unrestricted free agent waters on July 5.
That being said, the Stars might still have interest in retaining both players’ services. The main reason they weren’t qualified is because they would have had arbitration rights.
Richard Bachman had a 3.25 GAA and .885 save percentage in 13 games with the Stars last season. Jordie Benn, the older brother of rising star Jamie Benn, had a goal and six points in 26 games.
Finally, 26-year-old forward Tom Wandell was also denied a qualifying offer, but the difference is that it sounds like he’s more likely to end up with another organization. He had a goal in 18 games with Dallas in 2013.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)