Jul 2, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
For his part, Thomas is “intrigued” by Philadelphia, according to a CSN Philly source, but it’s not clear if the feeling is mutual.
Either way, for now, Thomas is simply testing the waters.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen with Tim,” Thomas’ agent, Bill Zito said. “I’ll find out tomorrow who has interest in Timmy and take it from there.
“All he told me was to check and see what – if any – his options may be. We are allowed to shop free agents tomorrow, so I’ll have a better idea of who has interest at that time.”
Thomas would be an interesting choice for Philadelphia, given that Thomas — like Bryzgalov — has drawn media attention in the past for his off-ice actions. Perhaps the most famous example of that was Thomas’ decision to skip the Boston Bruins’ White House visit in celebration of their Stanley Cup victory.
On top of that, Thomas is an obvious risk after taking a year off from hockey. Still, he’s won the Vezina Trophy twice in addition to being named the 2011 Conn Smythe Trophy winner.
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 3
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)