Jul 2, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
For his part, Thomas is “intrigued” by Philadelphia, according to a CSN Philly source, but it’s not clear if the feeling is mutual.
Either way, for now, Thomas is simply testing the waters.
“I don’t know what’s going to happen with Tim,” Thomas’ agent, Bill Zito said. “I’ll find out tomorrow who has interest in Timmy and take it from there.
“All he told me was to check and see what – if any – his options may be. We are allowed to shop free agents tomorrow, so I’ll have a better idea of who has interest at that time.”
Thomas would be an interesting choice for Philadelphia, given that Thomas — like Bryzgalov — has drawn media attention in the past for his off-ice actions. Perhaps the most famous example of that was Thomas’ decision to skip the Boston Bruins’ White House visit in celebration of their Stanley Cup victory.
On top of that, Thomas is an obvious risk after taking a year off from hockey. Still, he’s won the Vezina Trophy twice in addition to being named the 2011 Conn Smythe Trophy winner.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)