Jul 2, 2013, 12:08 PM EST
He may have dropped a few spots in the NHL Draft selection, but it appears as though Seth Jones will begin the season with the Nashville Predators.
Jones, a defenseman from the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks and the No. 1-ranked North American skater coming into Sunday’s draft, was the fourth overall pick, going to the Predators.
Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean reported on Twitter Tuesday afternoon that Predators general manager David Poile indicated Jones will “likely start next season in Nashville.”
Poile doesn't think Gill will be a fit with the drafting of Jones—
(@JoshuaCooper) July 02, 2013
Gill, the 6’7″ blue liner, is 38 years old and has one more year remaining on his contract. He also comes with an annual cap hit of $2 million.
As reported last week, Poile had been looking at trade possibilities for both players.
Halischuk is at the end of a standard, two-year contract worth $1.425 million, while Blum is at the end of a one-year deal worth $650,000.
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 0
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)