Jul 2, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Just like Alain Vigneault before him, it appears Scott Arniel’s time in the Vancouver Canucks organization could be done.
According to Katie Strang of ESPN New York, Arniel is expected to join the Rangers and Alain Vigneault’s coaching staff, along with Ulf Samuelsson.
Samuelsson has been confirmed to be joining the Rangers’ coaching staff, according to Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News.
Arniel, who spent the last season as bench boss of the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves, the Canucks minor league affiliate, had been a candidate for the head coaching position in Vancouver after Vigneault was fired.
From 2006 to 2010, Arniel coached the AHL Manitoba Moose – previously based out of Winnipeg before the NHL returned there – before moving on to become head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Under his watch, the Blue Jackets struggled, going 45-60-18 in not even two full seasons.
Should Arniel be hired in New York, he would be reunited with Vigneault, someone he knows very well from their time in the Canucks organization.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)