Jul 2, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Just like Alain Vigneault before him, it appears Scott Arniel’s time in the Vancouver Canucks organization could be done.
According to Katie Strang of ESPN New York, Arniel is expected to join the Rangers and Alain Vigneault’s coaching staff, along with Ulf Samuelsson.
Samuelsson has been confirmed to be joining the Rangers’ coaching staff, according to Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News.
Arniel, who spent the last season as bench boss of the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves, the Canucks minor league affiliate, had been a candidate for the head coaching position in Vancouver after Vigneault was fired.
From 2006 to 2010, Arniel coached the AHL Manitoba Moose – previously based out of Winnipeg before the NHL returned there – before moving on to become head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Under his watch, the Blue Jackets struggled, going 45-60-18 in not even two full seasons.
Should Arniel be hired in New York, he would be reunited with Vigneault, someone he knows very well from their time in the Canucks organization.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)