Jul 2, 2013, 2:47 PM EST
Just like Alain Vigneault before him, it appears Scott Arniel’s time in the Vancouver Canucks organization could be done.
According to Katie Strang of ESPN New York, Arniel is expected to join the Rangers and Alain Vigneault’s coaching staff, along with Ulf Samuelsson.
Samuelsson has been confirmed to be joining the Rangers’ coaching staff, according to Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News.
Arniel, who spent the last season as bench boss of the American Hockey League’s Chicago Wolves, the Canucks minor league affiliate, had been a candidate for the head coaching position in Vancouver after Vigneault was fired.
From 2006 to 2010, Arniel coached the AHL Manitoba Moose – previously based out of Winnipeg before the NHL returned there – before moving on to become head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets.
Under his watch, the Blue Jackets struggled, going 45-60-18 in not even two full seasons.
Should Arniel be hired in New York, he would be reunited with Vigneault, someone he knows very well from their time in the Canucks organization.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)