Jul 2, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
Colaiacovo only played in six games in 2013, in part due to a shoulder injury. He also appeared in nine playoff games, but averaged just 15:14 minutes per contest.
With the rise of 23-year-old blueliner Danny Dekeyser, it wasn’t clear if there was still a top-six defensive spot available for Colaiacovo going into the 2013-14 campaign.
Buying out Colaiacovo would save the Red Wings $2.5 million in cap space next season. He was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2014.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22