Jul 2, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
Colaiacovo only played in six games in 2013, in part due to a shoulder injury. He also appeared in nine playoff games, but averaged just 15:14 minutes per contest.
With the rise of 23-year-old blueliner Danny Dekeyser, it wasn’t clear if there was still a top-six defensive spot available for Colaiacovo going into the 2013-14 campaign.
Buying out Colaiacovo would save the Red Wings $2.5 million in cap space next season. He was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2014.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)