Jul 2, 2013, 6:42 PM EDT
Colaiacovo only played in six games in 2013, in part due to a shoulder injury. He also appeared in nine playoff games, but averaged just 15:14 minutes per contest.
With the rise of 23-year-old blueliner Danny Dekeyser, it wasn’t clear if there was still a top-six defensive spot available for Colaiacovo going into the 2013-14 campaign.
Buying out Colaiacovo would save the Red Wings $2.5 million in cap space next season. He was scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2014.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)