Report: Leafs have eight-year offer from Bozak

Jul 2, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT

Tyler Bozak Getty Images

Toronto might have Tyler Bozak to kick around for quite a few years.

TSN’s Darren Dreger reports Bozak made an eight-year offer to the Maple Leafs for his services.

A deal like that would have him check in with a lower cap hit than Mikhail Grabovski, Phil Kessel, and Joffrey Lupul amongst forwards and leave Toronto with limited room to fill out the roster. To get around that, Dreger says there’s a possibility the team buys out Grabovski with his $5.5 million cap hit over the next four seasons to make it fit better.

Last season, Bozak had 12 goals and 16 assists in 46 games for the Leafs. Bozak has been a dependable, but not great, player through his career to this point. Committing to him for a maximum-length contract would be curious to say the least, but perhaps the team comes back with something far more reasonable.

1. worldseriestiger - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:00 PM

now is when Leaf Nation flips out

2. loinstache - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I’m not sure about Toronto’s strategy of addressing their weakness down the middle by acquiring as many third-line-maybe-second-if-desperately-needed centres.

3. aldog83 - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Bozak getting 8 yr $40 million.

Is like wreck less baseball spending.

I guess Letang asking for $58 does not sound so bad now!

Geez!

Run don’t walk to your nearest Office Supply store and Buy
    A pen Bozak! Sign that NOW.

Lotto Stud!

• desertfan - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Read the headline!!!

Bozak made the offer NOT the Leafs.

4 x $4 max

4. valarmorghuliss - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I made an offer to the Leafs for my services too, and probably have the same chances at being accepted as Bozak’s offer.

5. aldog83 - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Oh. Ok . Got it.

That Bozak sure thinks A lot of himself.

( my bad, I will neg my own comment now)

6. redridershoottheireyeout - Jul 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM

???????????? Is that a joke headline and story??????????? Really this is totally ridiculous!

7. chiassontim - Jul 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

The Leafs did NOT offer Bozak an 8 year deal. Bozak’s camp offered the Leafs the deal. Get your facts straight.

8. sirhilfiger3 - Jul 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I read these articles everyday—I wasn’t registered until now

I only did so because BLOZAK sucks —he is the todd gill/allan bester of this generation but instead a forward
    I have continually noticed crappy skill other than the odd faceoff win—big deal—
    I can’t stand him on the team—he gets bounced off the puck all the time or flubs a boatload—doesn’t score and when he gets a fluke goal its an open net
    kessel is awesome he is not
    I questioned myself once and asked if maybe it was maybe me being critical—so I watched his play to see if I was wrong—-I wasn’t—-his play is borderline junk
    he should get less money than the 1.5 he was getting—he barely is a third line—-bolland has that wrapped up now—
    NONIS DON’T DO IT—8 yrs what a joke—sign him for 3 months and then he’s done in October and we can move in the right direction
    ps—Toronto played good when he was injured during the playoffs

Top 10 NHL Player Searches