Jul 2, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
The Washington Capitals haven’t traded defenseman Jeff Schultz, like he has requested.
Instead, they put him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of a buyout, according to TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie.
Schultz, 27, had one more year remaining on his four-year, $11 million contract. He’s also an annual cap hit of $2.75 million.
In May, Schultz publicly confirmed he had requested a trade from the Capitals, once they were knocked out of the playoffs in the opening round.
“My agent and I thought there has got to be somewhere else where a team needs a player like myself and I can be utilized a lot more than I was here,” Schultz told the Washington Post. “It was like I was a young first year player again with them.
“They didn’t have that trust in me that they could put me out there in tough situations or even in the third period.”
Schultz is a former first-round pick of the Capitals, back in 2004.
In 26 games during the lockout-shortened regular season, Schultz had three assists and was a minus-six. That’s a far cry from the plus-50 rating he achieved in 2009-10.
The Capitals had been working on trying to trade Schultz for almost a full month.
“He did ask for a trade,” Capitals general manager George McPhee told CSN Washington at the start of June.
“As we’ve told every player, if you ever want to be traded or you’re not happy then let us know and we’ll trade you. So we started working on it and we’ll see what develops.”
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 71
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)