Jul 2, 2013, 12:34 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals haven’t traded defenseman Jeff Schultz, like he has requested.
Instead, they put him on unconditional waivers for the purpose of a buyout, according to TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie.
Schultz, 27, had one more year remaining on his four-year, $11 million contract. He’s also an annual cap hit of $2.75 million.
In May, Schultz publicly confirmed he had requested a trade from the Capitals, once they were knocked out of the playoffs in the opening round.
“My agent and I thought there has got to be somewhere else where a team needs a player like myself and I can be utilized a lot more than I was here,” Schultz told the Washington Post. “It was like I was a young first year player again with them.
“They didn’t have that trust in me that they could put me out there in tough situations or even in the third period.”
Schultz is a former first-round pick of the Capitals, back in 2004.
In 26 games during the lockout-shortened regular season, Schultz had three assists and was a minus-six. That’s a far cry from the plus-50 rating he achieved in 2009-10.
The Capitals had been working on trying to trade Schultz for almost a full month.
“He did ask for a trade,” Capitals general manager George McPhee told CSN Washington at the start of June.
“As we’ve told every player, if you ever want to be traded or you’re not happy then let us know and we’ll trade you. So we started working on it and we’ll see what develops.”
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)