Jul 2, 2013, 7:39 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis has offered a fairly straight forward assessment of Mikhail Grabovski‘s play from last season, and a challenge for the skilled 29-year-old forward.
Grabovski, who, according to Capgeek.com, has four years remaining on his contract at a $5.5 million annual cap hit.
But last season, his offensive production hit a decline. He had only 16 points in 48 games played for the Leafs in 2013 – and only two assists in seven playoff games.
That’s down from his 2011-12 campaign, when he showed balance between scoring and set-up man, with 23 goals and 51 points in 74 games. The season before that: 58 points in 81 games.
But after his struggles this past season, and with the amount of money he earns in this cap era following the new collective bargaining agreement, the Leafs are looking for more from Grabovski.
“(Grabovski) didn’t have the best year he’s ever had, there’s no secret about that. He didn’t have a very good season and there’s a lot of reasons for that. His health was part of it,” said Nonis, as per the Globe and Mail.
“But I think in the postseason he was very good. He competed. He looked more like his old self. And he’s going to have to get ready this offseason and get back and try to challenge for the minutes that he was expecting.”
Nonis also discussed a variety of roster issues as it pertains to freeing up cap space.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)