Jul 2, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have officially cut ties with 31-year-old defenseman Mike Komisarek, according to Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s David Alter.
The Leafs have exercised one of their compliance buyouts on him, thus sparing themselves of the final season of his $4.5 million annual cap hit.
Since signing a five-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs, nothing has worked out as intended. He was limited to just 34 games in 2009-10 due to injuries and also missed a substantial amount of playing time in 2011-12.
He participated in just four NHL games in 2013, but this time it was because he had slipped in the depth charts. Toronto exposed him to waivers in March and he ended up playing for the AHL Toronto Marlies.
Parting ways with Komisarek now will aide Toronto as it attempts to re-sign a bunch of restricted free agents, including Nazem Kadri, Jonathan Bernier, Carl Gunnarsson, and Cody Franson. The Maple Leafs also have interest in retaining the services of soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Tyler Bozak.
It was a privilege playing for a first class organization like the Leafs even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.
— Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) July 2, 2013
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 1
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 17
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 16
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)