Jul 2, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have officially cut ties with 31-year-old defenseman Mike Komisarek, according to Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s David Alter.
The Leafs have exercised one of their compliance buyouts on him, thus sparing themselves of the final season of his $4.5 million annual cap hit.
Since signing a five-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs, nothing has worked out as intended. He was limited to just 34 games in 2009-10 due to injuries and also missed a substantial amount of playing time in 2011-12.
He participated in just four NHL games in 2013, but this time it was because he had slipped in the depth charts. Toronto exposed him to waivers in March and he ended up playing for the AHL Toronto Marlies.
Parting ways with Komisarek now will aide Toronto as it attempts to re-sign a bunch of restricted free agents, including Nazem Kadri, Jonathan Bernier, Carl Gunnarsson, and Cody Franson. The Maple Leafs also have interest in retaining the services of soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Tyler Bozak.
It was a privilege playing for a first class organization like the Leafs even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.
— Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) July 2, 2013
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 25
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 67
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)