Jul 2, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have officially cut ties with 31-year-old defenseman Mike Komisarek, according to Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s David Alter.
The Leafs have exercised one of their compliance buyouts on him, thus sparing themselves of the final season of his $4.5 million annual cap hit.
Since signing a five-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs, nothing has worked out as intended. He was limited to just 34 games in 2009-10 due to injuries and also missed a substantial amount of playing time in 2011-12.
He participated in just four NHL games in 2013, but this time it was because he had slipped in the depth charts. Toronto exposed him to waivers in March and he ended up playing for the AHL Toronto Marlies.
Parting ways with Komisarek now will aide Toronto as it attempts to re-sign a bunch of restricted free agents, including Nazem Kadri, Jonathan Bernier, Carl Gunnarsson, and Cody Franson. The Maple Leafs also have interest in retaining the services of soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Tyler Bozak.
It was a privilege playing for a first class organization like the Leafs even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.
— Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) July 2, 2013
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)