Jul 2, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have officially cut ties with 31-year-old defenseman Mike Komisarek, according to Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s David Alter.
The Leafs have exercised one of their compliance buyouts on him, thus sparing themselves of the final season of his $4.5 million annual cap hit.
Since signing a five-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs, nothing has worked out as intended. He was limited to just 34 games in 2009-10 due to injuries and also missed a substantial amount of playing time in 2011-12.
He participated in just four NHL games in 2013, but this time it was because he had slipped in the depth charts. Toronto exposed him to waivers in March and he ended up playing for the AHL Toronto Marlies.
Parting ways with Komisarek now will aide Toronto as it attempts to re-sign a bunch of restricted free agents, including Nazem Kadri, Jonathan Bernier, Carl Gunnarsson, and Cody Franson. The Maple Leafs also have interest in retaining the services of soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Tyler Bozak.
It was a privilege playing for a first class organization like the Leafs even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.
— Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) July 2, 2013
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)