Jul 2, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs have officially cut ties with 31-year-old defenseman Mike Komisarek, according to Sportsnet 590 The Fan’s David Alter.
The Leafs have exercised one of their compliance buyouts on him, thus sparing themselves of the final season of his $4.5 million annual cap hit.
Since signing a five-year deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs, nothing has worked out as intended. He was limited to just 34 games in 2009-10 due to injuries and also missed a substantial amount of playing time in 2011-12.
He participated in just four NHL games in 2013, but this time it was because he had slipped in the depth charts. Toronto exposed him to waivers in March and he ended up playing for the AHL Toronto Marlies.
Parting ways with Komisarek now will aide Toronto as it attempts to re-sign a bunch of restricted free agents, including Nazem Kadri, Jonathan Bernier, Carl Gunnarsson, and Cody Franson. The Maple Leafs also have interest in retaining the services of soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Tyler Bozak.
It was a privilege playing for a first class organization like the Leafs even though things did not turn out as I would have liked.
— Mike Komisarek (@mkomisarek) July 2, 2013
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)