Jul 2, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
24-year-old Keaton Ellerby played in 38 games in 2013, but he won’t be back with the Los Angeles Kings next season. The team has decided against sending a qualifying offer to Ellerby, Stefan Legein, or David Kolomatis, according to Los Angeles Times writer Lisa Dillman.
Ellerby started last season with the Florida Panthers, but they sent him to the Kings in early February in exchange for a fifth round draft pick. At the time, the Kings were without blueliners Willie Mitchell and Matt Greene.
Mitchell never ended up returning and his availability for 2013-14 is still unknown, but Ellerby still fell in the depth charts to the point where he participated in just five of the Kings’ 18 postseason games.
Although Ellerby is now eligible to become an unrestricted free agent, blueliners Alec Martinez and Jake Muzzin are restricted free agents. Meanwhile, defenseman Rob Scuderi, 34, will be able to test the UFA waters on July 5, but the Kings have been trying to re-sign him, according to LA Kings Insider’s Jon Rosen.
Passing on Ellerby would free up a spot for Scuderi. As it is, the Kings have five defenseman inked to one-way deals.
Forward Legein and defenseman Kolomatis are both 24 years old and weren’t able to make their respective NHL debuts with the Kings.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)