Jul 2, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to a three-year, $6.2 million contract with defenseman Grant Clitsome, according to the Winnipeg Sun’s Ken Wiebe. That means he will avoid the unrestricted free agent market.
The 28-year-old had four goals, 16 points, and tied for the team high with a plus-10 rating in 44 games last season. He’s a physical defender that blocks shots while chipping in a bit shorthanded and with the man advantage.
This deal represents a meaningful increase over his previous cap hit of $1.25 million and gives the Jets four defenseman locked in to one-way deals, including Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien, and Mark Stuart.
The Jets last noteworthy defenseman that can become an unrestricted free agent is Ron Hainsey. He averaged 22:51 minutes in 47 games last season. Hainsey, 32, was also by far the team’s leader in shorthanded minutes.
With Clitsome off the market, the projected group of unrestricted free agent defenseman is even thinner. It might end up being headlined by Carlo Colaiacovo, Marek Zidlicky, Joe Corvo, Hainsey, and Rob Scuderi.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 33
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 51
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 37
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 74
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 45
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)