Jul 2, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to a three-year, $6.2 million contract with defenseman Grant Clitsome, according to the Winnipeg Sun’s Ken Wiebe. That means he will avoid the unrestricted free agent market.
The 28-year-old had four goals, 16 points, and tied for the team high with a plus-10 rating in 44 games last season. He’s a physical defender that blocks shots while chipping in a bit shorthanded and with the man advantage.
This deal represents a meaningful increase over his previous cap hit of $1.25 million and gives the Jets four defenseman locked in to one-way deals, including Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien, and Mark Stuart.
The Jets last noteworthy defenseman that can become an unrestricted free agent is Ron Hainsey. He averaged 22:51 minutes in 47 games last season. Hainsey, 32, was also by far the team’s leader in shorthanded minutes.
With Clitsome off the market, the projected group of unrestricted free agent defenseman is even thinner. It might end up being headlined by Carlo Colaiacovo, Marek Zidlicky, Joe Corvo, Hainsey, and Rob Scuderi.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)