Jul 2, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets have agreed to a three-year, $6.2 million contract with defenseman Grant Clitsome, according to the Winnipeg Sun’s Ken Wiebe. That means he will avoid the unrestricted free agent market.
The 28-year-old had four goals, 16 points, and tied for the team high with a plus-10 rating in 44 games last season. He’s a physical defender that blocks shots while chipping in a bit shorthanded and with the man advantage.
This deal represents a meaningful increase over his previous cap hit of $1.25 million and gives the Jets four defenseman locked in to one-way deals, including Tobias Enstrom, Dustin Byfuglien, and Mark Stuart.
The Jets last noteworthy defenseman that can become an unrestricted free agent is Ron Hainsey. He averaged 22:51 minutes in 47 games last season. Hainsey, 32, was also by far the team’s leader in shorthanded minutes.
With Clitsome off the market, the projected group of unrestricted free agent defenseman is even thinner. It might end up being headlined by Carlo Colaiacovo, Marek Zidlicky, Joe Corvo, Hainsey, and Rob Scuderi.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 18
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 38
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 59
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 55
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)