Jul 2, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have pulled the first major stunner of free agency.
Five years, $22.5 million, an average annual cap hit of $4.5 million.
The move is wild on a number of fronts.
While those moves did give the Flyers some wiggle room, the Lecavalier deal puts them $300,000 over the cap — though that figure includes Chris Pronger‘s deal ($4.9 million), which will be put on long-term injured reserve.
Of course, that doesn’t put Philly out of the woods.
The club is still looking for a goalie to work alongside Steve Mason, has pressing needs on defense, already expressed an interest in bringing back Simon Gagne and — next season — needs to re-up with key RFAs Claude Giroux, Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier.
(That’s going to prove difficult, considering Philly has $43.5 million committed to 13 players for 2014-15.)
As for Lecavalier, the former Bolts captain ends days of speculation about his playing future with this signing.
He’d already ruled out Detroit and Dallas — two prominent suitors — and, prior to inking in Philly, seemed to be leaning toward either Boston or a return to his hometown province of Quebec and the Canadiens.
The 33-year-old now stands to make a boatload of money over the next half decade. His Tampa Bay buyout will net him $2.3 million annually (over the next 14 seasons) while his new deal with Philly earns a cool $4.5 million per.
What’s more, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports Lecavalier’s deal features a full no-movement clause, which will likely keep him in Philly until he’s 38. RDS’ Renaud Lavoie says the deal will play $6 million in salary next year and 2014-15, $4.5 million in 2015-16, and $3 million in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
One more thing to note? Lecavalier carries the exact same cap hit as defenseman Braydon Coburn ($4.5 million), believed to be a trade target for a number of NHL clubs.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)