Jul 2, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers have pulled the first major stunner of free agency.
Five years, $22.5 million, an average annual cap hit of $4.5 million.
The move is wild on a number of fronts.
While those moves did give the Flyers some wiggle room, the Lecavalier deal puts them $300,000 over the cap — though that figure includes Chris Pronger‘s deal ($4.9 million), which will be put on long-term injured reserve.
Of course, that doesn’t put Philly out of the woods.
The club is still looking for a goalie to work alongside Steve Mason, has pressing needs on defense, already expressed an interest in bringing back Simon Gagne and — next season — needs to re-up with key RFAs Claude Giroux, Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier.
(That’s going to prove difficult, considering Philly has $43.5 million committed to 13 players for 2014-15.)
As for Lecavalier, the former Bolts captain ends days of speculation about his playing future with this signing.
He’d already ruled out Detroit and Dallas — two prominent suitors — and, prior to inking in Philly, seemed to be leaning toward either Boston or a return to his hometown province of Quebec and the Canadiens.
The 33-year-old now stands to make a boatload of money over the next half decade. His Tampa Bay buyout will net him $2.3 million annually (over the next 14 seasons) while his new deal with Philly earns a cool $4.5 million per.
What’s more, ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports Lecavalier’s deal features a full no-movement clause, which will likely keep him in Philly until he’s 38. RDS’ Renaud Lavoie says the deal will play $6 million in salary next year and 2014-15, $4.5 million in 2015-16, and $3 million in 2016-17 and 2017-18.
One more thing to note? Lecavalier carries the exact same cap hit as defenseman Braydon Coburn ($4.5 million), believed to be a trade target for a number of NHL clubs.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:40 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli addressed the media today in Boston.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
After re-upping with Brad Stuart earlier.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:05 PM EDT
But, “If it is, it is.”
Sep 29, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
Both have over 100 games of NHL experience.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)