Bergeron won’t need surgery, dishes on playoff pain

Jul 2, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Patrice Bergeron Getty Images

No one will ever question Patrice Bergeron‘s toughness after this year’s playoffs. The litany of issues he played through is the type of thing that turns a player into a folk hero.

Bergeron spoke about his injuries today and said he won’t need surgery for any of them. His separated shoulder apparently just needs to heal and his ribs and cartilage just need to not get abused by defenders to be repaired. He also says he should be ready for the start of training camp in September.

Are we sure he’s not made of titanium?

As for the criticism he faced for playing while injured, he said it was the sort of thing any player would’ve done.

“You obviously don’t want to put your health in danger… No regrets on my part, I’ll tell you that,” he said.

As for how he got through Game 6? He took nerve blockers both before and during the game to stop the pain. That sounds like the kind of thing that will keep you from knowing you have a hole in your lung.

1. lvshark22 - Jul 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM

After first hearing about this I gained so much respect for Bergeron. What a warrior! Just another reason to like hockey players more then any other athlete.

• gret9 - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Yep, as a Blackhawks fan, I tip my cap to Bergeron. When you read about the injuries he and some of the other players on both teams played with in the Finals, it just goes to show again that imho hockey players are by far the toughest players of any of the big 4 pro sports.

• dudermcrbohan - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:03 PM

especially when baseball players leave a game with a blister. (and yea i know it could potentially blow the whole game, but it’s still amusing)

2. ronthecubsfan - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Heard from a friend’s son:

“Let me get this straight: Hockey players play hurt but pretend they’re not, but soccer player play well but pretend they’re hurt?”

Pretty much captures one of my favorite sayings: Hockey is just like soccer, except it’s played by men.

I was glad to see all the skating wounded for both team playing as hard as they possibly could. Now we enter the lull between the end of hockey and the start of football…

3. pastabelly - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Tyler Seguin, if you need a role model, you got to play on the same line with one of the best in the world. Please learn something. #37 will probably be centering the third line for Canada in the Olympics. If the USA can’t win gold, I’d like to see Patrice get another.

4. loinstache - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I am impressed by Bergeron. But honest question, what separates this from any other story of an eliminated team with players playing through injuries where the comments typically contain “lolol nice excuse?” Because those are always preset even for teams and players that don’t have a rep for whining. Genuinely curious what makes this story different.

• loinstache - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM

sick reasons bros

• dueman - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:51 PM

How many times before have you heard about a player going from the hospital, playing in a game with a separated shoulder, a broken rib or two, torn cartilage in his rib cage, and a hole in his lung, and then immediately afterwards going back to the hospital for a few days? I don’t know about you, but to me, Bergeron’s situation stands out against the regular “we had guys playing injured” stories/excuses. To me, this is more about how much of a warrior Bergeron showed he is.

• ronthecubsfan - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I’m not hearing excuses, I’m hearing details and some background to the “body injury” BS spewed by NHL coaches.

• dddk722 - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Because Bergeron has earned the benefit of the doubt so the typical responses like “lolol nice excuse” dont really apply….he is widely respected among the league and media and deservedly so

• micasa81 - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I hear what you’re saying, and for all the people down-thumbing, the message here isn’t “stop whining, Bergeron”, it’s that players on all teams should be able to talk about their injuries without it being labeled “making excuses”.

I will say, though, Bergeron’s injuries (and subsequent hospitalization) are above and beyond most of the post-playoff injury reports you hear about.

• loinstache - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Nice reply, I do see why Bergerons situation isn’t typical. And you’re spot on, it is incredibly frustrating to constantly see people writing the details of an injury off as an excuse

• wikidpissah - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM

There are two reasons in my opinion. First, you’re right that many players play through injuries during the playoffs, but Bergeron’s injuries seem to be more serious than what players usually go through. Most of us would have trouble tying our shoes with those injuries, never mind play hockey.

The second reason is that while people are showing their respect for what he played through, nobody has suggested that the injury had anything to do with Chicago winning the series. In other cases, many times people make the inference (usually incorrectly), that the team is making excuses for losing.

One of the most enjoyable things about this series was the way both team punished each other, especially the important players, like Bergeron, Toews, Hossa, etc… with neither team complaining, diving, etc… They just battled through until the better team won.

5. montrealbbr - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM

More excuses for the Bruins choking away another series.

• wikidpissah - Jul 2, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Remind me again; what round did the Habs lose in? Was any team in the playoffs more of an embarrassment and disgrace this year?

I can understand Montreal fans being glad the Bruins lost, but this would be a good time to enjoy it quietly.

• dboldave - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:05 PM

The Bruins were lucky they faced a bad goalie in the first round or they would have been golfing early too.

• montrealbbr - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM

The refs allowed the Sens to goon it up and clearly that type of game doesn’t favor the Habs.

• wikidpissah - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

That’s the best laugh I’ve had this year. You started this off by accusing the Bruins of making excuses? It was the Habs who tried, and failed miserably, to “goon it up.”

6. dboldave - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Sorry I just had to jump on the “bash the Bruins” bandwagon here!

7. spitfisher - Jul 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Bergerons teammates were not aware he was in the hospital after the series, this too speaks volumes of how unassuming he can be.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches