Jul 2, 2013, 9:21 AM EDT
It’s so predictable, the pressure that accompanies being the No. 1 overall pick in the NHL Draft.
Nathan MacKinnon knew that going into Sunday. He knows that two days after his name was called by the Colorado Avalanche.
Of course, only adding to that is the fact he comes from the same town – Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia – as NHL sensation Sidney Crosby, and the Avalanche have missed the playoffs three straight seasons.
But rather than heap even more expectations on his newest young-star-in-the-making, Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy is trying to ease the pressure off MacKinnon just a little bit.
“I want him to have fun,” Roy told the Associated Press.
“There’s going to be enough pressure on him anyway. I know he’s going to deal well with it. At the same time, it’s important for him to feel comfortable.
“We need to give him time to adapt and just feel comfortable.”
The addition of MacKinnon already has Roy formulating line combinations, more than two months before training camp gets underway.
It appears, very early on, that MacKinnon could occupy the third-line center spot with Colorado.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 0
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 2
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)