Jul 2, 2013, 9:21 AM EST
It’s so predictable, the pressure that accompanies being the No. 1 overall pick in the NHL Draft.
Nathan MacKinnon knew that going into Sunday. He knows that two days after his name was called by the Colorado Avalanche.
Of course, only adding to that is the fact he comes from the same town – Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia – as NHL sensation Sidney Crosby, and the Avalanche have missed the playoffs three straight seasons.
But rather than heap even more expectations on his newest young-star-in-the-making, Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy is trying to ease the pressure off MacKinnon just a little bit.
“I want him to have fun,” Roy told the Associated Press.
“There’s going to be enough pressure on him anyway. I know he’s going to deal well with it. At the same time, it’s important for him to feel comfortable.
“We need to give him time to adapt and just feel comfortable.”
The addition of MacKinnon already has Roy formulating line combinations, more than two months before training camp gets underway.
It appears, very early on, that MacKinnon could occupy the third-line center spot with Colorado.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)