Jul 1, 2013, 2:51 PM EST
One of the knocks against the Colorado drafting Nathan MacKinnon was that the Avalanche weren’t hurting for another center, but coach Patrick Roy thinks he has a solution for that potential logjam, based on a Denver Post report.
Roy plans to shift Ryan O’Reilly from center to the left wing so that he can play on a line with P.A. Parenteau and Matt Duchene. That will free up the third line center gig for Nathan MacKinnon. He’ll be flanked by Jamie McGinn and Steve Downie.
In the long run, MacKinnon is projected to develop into a top line forward, but Roy is looking to ease him into the NHL.
“It wouldn’t matter where I play,” MacKinnon said. “I just would do whatever it takes to help the team.”
One of the big question mark is whether or not O’Reilly can make the adjustment to playing on the wing. We will probably see these lines change meaningfully once the season gets underway, but it does give us an early glimpse into how Roy sees everyone fitting together.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)