Jul 1, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
The 39-year-old goalie is known for throwing curveballs toward the general hockey world, especially when it comes to announcements, so be sure to apply the usual “don’t assume it’s 100 percent until it’s official” caveats.
Update: LeBrun points to this Tweet by Thomas’ agent Bill Zito.
Tim Thomas has asked me to explore possible options for next season. We’ll have no further comment at this time. Thanks.
— Bill Zito (@acmeworldsports) July 1, 2013
Another update: Zito apparently took that Tweet down, but LeBrun said he discussed the situation with Zito on Monday. So it sounds like it could still be legitimate, although you never really know with Thomas.
Regardless, it makes for a fascinatingly redemptive free agent goalie class, as Thomas headlines a list heavy with risk-reward choices alongside Ilya Bryzgalov.
The most obvious question is whether Thomas can approach his outstanding work a) a full year out of the league at an advanced age and b) without Zdeno Chara patrolling his blueline. Sitting out a season would be tougher for any netminder, but what about for a goalie with such an unorthodox style?
Still, there could be plenty of teams who feel just fine with rolling the dice regarding a guy with two Vezina Trophies, a Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup, and .921 save percentage on his resume.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)