Jul 1, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
The 39-year-old goalie is known for throwing curveballs toward the general hockey world, especially when it comes to announcements, so be sure to apply the usual “don’t assume it’s 100 percent until it’s official” caveats.
Update: LeBrun points to this Tweet by Thomas’ agent Bill Zito.
Tim Thomas has asked me to explore possible options for next season. We’ll have no further comment at this time. Thanks.
— Bill Zito (@acmeworldsports) July 1, 2013
Another update: Zito apparently took that Tweet down, but LeBrun said he discussed the situation with Zito on Monday. So it sounds like it could still be legitimate, although you never really know with Thomas.
Regardless, it makes for a fascinatingly redemptive free agent goalie class, as Thomas headlines a list heavy with risk-reward choices alongside Ilya Bryzgalov.
The most obvious question is whether Thomas can approach his outstanding work a) a full year out of the league at an advanced age and b) without Zdeno Chara patrolling his blueline. Sitting out a season would be tougher for any netminder, but what about for a goalie with such an unorthodox style?
Still, there could be plenty of teams who feel just fine with rolling the dice regarding a guy with two Vezina Trophies, a Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup, and .921 save percentage on his resume.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (63)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)