Jul 1, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
The 39-year-old goalie is known for throwing curveballs toward the general hockey world, especially when it comes to announcements, so be sure to apply the usual “don’t assume it’s 100 percent until it’s official” caveats.
Update: LeBrun points to this Tweet by Thomas’ agent Bill Zito.
Tim Thomas has asked me to explore possible options for next season. We’ll have no further comment at this time. Thanks.
— Bill Zito (@acmeworldsports) July 1, 2013
Another update: Zito apparently took that Tweet down, but LeBrun said he discussed the situation with Zito on Monday. So it sounds like it could still be legitimate, although you never really know with Thomas.
Regardless, it makes for a fascinatingly redemptive free agent goalie class, as Thomas headlines a list heavy with risk-reward choices alongside Ilya Bryzgalov.
The most obvious question is whether Thomas can approach his outstanding work a) a full year out of the league at an advanced age and b) without Zdeno Chara patrolling his blueline. Sitting out a season would be tougher for any netminder, but what about for a goalie with such an unorthodox style?
Still, there could be plenty of teams who feel just fine with rolling the dice regarding a guy with two Vezina Trophies, a Conn Smythe, Stanley Cup, and .921 save percentage on his resume.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)