Jul 1, 2013, 1:04 PM EDT
Now that it’s clear that the New York Rangers are sticking with Brad Richards, they’ll need to make other sacrifices. The Bergen Record reports that means the end of Ryane Clowe‘s short stay in the Big Apple, as the team is apparently attempting to trade his negotiating rights.
Clowe, 30, is days away from becoming an unrestricted free agent.
That fact might make it tough for the Rangers to squeeze anything out of this situation, but it’s worth noting that the power forward drew a ton of attention during the trade deadline.
After 28 games with San Jose without a goal (but 11 assists), the Rangers gave up a second-rounder for what was ultimately just a rental this season. Clowe played better for New York, yet he was limited to just 12 regular season and two playoff games.
One can debate whether that trade was worth it for the Rangers, but GM Glen Sather is hoping to try to get a little more out of the deal before July 5.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 0
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 15
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 4
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)