Jul 1, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
Dupuis’ two-year, $3,000,000 contract is expiring and he will become an unrestricted free agent Friday unless the talks pick up steam. It’s believed that he’s looking for a sizable raise after recording 59 points in 82 games in 2011-12 and 38 points in 48 contests last season.
“He’s an important piece of our team that I’d like to have back,” Penguins GM Ray Shero told the team’s website. “The money and the term have to fit both parties. We’re still not there yet. We’ll continue to work on it. We’d like to have him back, if at all possible.”
The issue hanging over their heads is cap space. Pittsburgh has a little under $8 million left for next season, according to Cap Geek with just 18 players on their 2013-14.
That’s actually not too bad, but compounding the problem is the fact that they’ve already committed to giving Evgeni Malkin a decent raise in 2014-15 and are projected to hand Kris Letang a huge pay increase. Even if you assume that the cap is increasing, it would be risky for the Penguins to sign another player to a significant long-term contract.
That consideration could ultimately lead to Dupuis hitting the free agent market.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)