Jul 1, 2013, 8:04 AM EST
Dupuis’ two-year, $3,000,000 contract is expiring and he will become an unrestricted free agent Friday unless the talks pick up steam. It’s believed that he’s looking for a sizable raise after recording 59 points in 82 games in 2011-12 and 38 points in 48 contests last season.
“He’s an important piece of our team that I’d like to have back,” Penguins GM Ray Shero told the team’s website. “The money and the term have to fit both parties. We’re still not there yet. We’ll continue to work on it. We’d like to have him back, if at all possible.”
The issue hanging over their heads is cap space. Pittsburgh has a little under $8 million left for next season, according to Cap Geek with just 18 players on their 2013-14.
That’s actually not too bad, but compounding the problem is the fact that they’ve already committed to giving Evgeni Malkin a decent raise in 2014-15 and are projected to hand Kris Letang a huge pay increase. Even if you assume that the cap is increasing, it would be risky for the Penguins to sign another player to a significant long-term contract.
That consideration could ultimately lead to Dupuis hitting the free agent market.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (57)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)