Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets still haven’t officially signed goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky, but it is believed that the Vezina Trophy winner will earn about $10 million over the next two seasons, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Although Blue Jackets president John Davidson isn’t ready to confirm anything, he is very optimistic.
“It’s a relief that we’re close,” Davidson said. “If you don’t have a goalie, you have problems. Happy hunting if you don’t have a guy who can stop the puck.”
Bobrovsky was eligible to become a restricted free agent this summer and while the Blue Jackets were expected to match any offer sheet an opposing team might present, that wasn’t really the issue. The real threat was the possibility of Bobrovsky accepting a lucrative offer to play in the KHL.
The 24-year-old goaltender was a major factor in Columbus’ strong finish to the 2013 campaign and losing him would have been a big step back for a franchise still trying to establish itself.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 83
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 65
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 77
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (77)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (75)