Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets still haven’t officially signed goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky, but it is believed that the Vezina Trophy winner will earn about $10 million over the next two seasons, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Although Blue Jackets president John Davidson isn’t ready to confirm anything, he is very optimistic.
“It’s a relief that we’re close,” Davidson said. “If you don’t have a goalie, you have problems. Happy hunting if you don’t have a guy who can stop the puck.”
Bobrovsky was eligible to become a restricted free agent this summer and while the Blue Jackets were expected to match any offer sheet an opposing team might present, that wasn’t really the issue. The real threat was the possibility of Bobrovsky accepting a lucrative offer to play in the KHL.
The 24-year-old goaltender was a major factor in Columbus’ strong finish to the 2013 campaign and losing him would have been a big step back for a franchise still trying to establish itself.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)