Jul 1, 2013, 10:55 AM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets still haven’t officially signed goaltender Sergei Bobrovsky, but it is believed that the Vezina Trophy winner will earn about $10 million over the next two seasons, according to the Columbus Dispatch.
Although Blue Jackets president John Davidson isn’t ready to confirm anything, he is very optimistic.
“It’s a relief that we’re close,” Davidson said. “If you don’t have a goalie, you have problems. Happy hunting if you don’t have a guy who can stop the puck.”
Bobrovsky was eligible to become a restricted free agent this summer and while the Blue Jackets were expected to match any offer sheet an opposing team might present, that wasn’t really the issue. The real threat was the possibility of Bobrovsky accepting a lucrative offer to play in the KHL.
The 24-year-old goaltender was a major factor in Columbus’ strong finish to the 2013 campaign and losing him would have been a big step back for a franchise still trying to establish itself.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)