Jul 1, 2013, 3:57 PM EST
Many believed that the NHL, NHLPA and IIHF would officially come to a deal to send NHL players to the 2014 Olympics on Monday, but that agreement will have to wait.
On the bright side, all three representatives seem positive about today’s talks, NHL.com’s Dan Rosen reports.
“We’re on a compact schedule and everybody is working very hard,” Gary Bettman said. “We seem to be pulling the oars in the same direction.”
NHLPA head Donald Fehr evoked this Wayne’s World II line in discussing how it all went.
“While we have made a lot of progress on a lot of issues, there are a few I dots and T crosses to do yet,” Fehr said.
IIHF president Rene Fasel echoed those thoughts, calling the talks “constructive” and stating that he’s pleased with the progress.
As far as future milestones go, Sportsnet’s John Shannon points out that there’s an IIHF meeting on Tuesday and the NHLPA is scheduled to meet July 8-10.
While it seems like there’s plenty of time to go, there’s motivation to get things done because the NHL needs to determine the 2013-14 schedule. (Clarifying the Phoenix Coyotes situation is key, too.)
In the mean time, at least we could bring out the old lockout photos from storage, eh?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)