Jul 1, 2013, 3:57 PM EDT
Many believed that the NHL, NHLPA and IIHF would officially come to a deal to send NHL players to the 2014 Olympics on Monday, but that agreement will have to wait.
On the bright side, all three representatives seem positive about today’s talks, NHL.com’s Dan Rosen reports.
“We’re on a compact schedule and everybody is working very hard,” Gary Bettman said. “We seem to be pulling the oars in the same direction.”
NHLPA head Donald Fehr evoked this Wayne’s World II line in discussing how it all went.
“While we have made a lot of progress on a lot of issues, there are a few I dots and T crosses to do yet,” Fehr said.
IIHF president Rene Fasel echoed those thoughts, calling the talks “constructive” and stating that he’s pleased with the progress.
As far as future milestones go, Sportsnet’s John Shannon points out that there’s an IIHF meeting on Tuesday and the NHLPA is scheduled to meet July 8-10.
While it seems like there’s plenty of time to go, there’s motivation to get things done because the NHL needs to determine the 2013-14 schedule. (Clarifying the Phoenix Coyotes situation is key, too.)
In the mean time, at least we could bring out the old lockout photos from storage, eh?
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 0
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 5
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 15
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 23
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 41
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 90
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)