Jul 1, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
In the span of a week, 27-year-old forward Dave Bolland went from scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal to getting traded by the Chicago Blackhawks to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“I’m excited to put on a Maple Leafs jersey in front of ACC fans. Pretty much lost for words,” Bolland said, according to the Toronto Star. “I’m sad to leave Chicago. You always want to play in one city all your career. But it’s a business.
“But it’s great to come back to where my whole hockey career began.”
Bolland, who was born in Mimico, Ontario, admitted that this series of events has been “crazy,” but he’ll have new opportunities with the Maple Leafs. Chicago traditionally used him as a third-line center, but Leafs GM Dave Nonis said they won’t “pigeon-hole him” in that role.
Toronto is somewhat thin up the middle, especially if they let Tyler Bozak walk as an unrestricted free agent.
“He’ll use him in all areas,” Nonis said. “He’ll probably be put in a more prominent role with us than he was in Chicago.”
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 0
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 12
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 45
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)