Jul 1, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
In the span of a week, 27-year-old forward Dave Bolland went from scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal to getting traded by the Chicago Blackhawks to the Toronto Maple Leafs.
“I’m excited to put on a Maple Leafs jersey in front of ACC fans. Pretty much lost for words,” Bolland said, according to the Toronto Star. “I’m sad to leave Chicago. You always want to play in one city all your career. But it’s a business.
“But it’s great to come back to where my whole hockey career began.”
Bolland, who was born in Mimico, Ontario, admitted that this series of events has been “crazy,” but he’ll have new opportunities with the Maple Leafs. Chicago traditionally used him as a third-line center, but Leafs GM Dave Nonis said they won’t “pigeon-hole him” in that role.
Toronto is somewhat thin up the middle, especially if they let Tyler Bozak walk as an unrestricted free agent.
“He’ll use him in all areas,” Nonis said. “He’ll probably be put in a more prominent role with us than he was in Chicago.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)