Devils’ Clarkson likely headed to free agency

Jul 1, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT

David Clarkson Getty Images

New Jersey has already re-signed Dainius Zubrus and are on the verge of re-signing Patrik Elias, but David Clarkson may not be returning.

Tom Gulitti of Fire & Ice reports that barring a drastic change of direction, Clarkson is headed to free agency on July 5. Devils GM Lou Lamoriello didn’t sound very positive about re-signing the power forward when asked if it’ll happen.

“David, I don’t know at this point. We’ll certainly talk and I’ll leave it at that,” Lamoriello said.

Clarkson could be in the market for a sizable raise given the dearth of goal-scoring power forwards out there. While Nathan Horton will garner plenty of attention, Clarkson’s ability to both be a garbage man in front of the net and handle himself in a fight might appeal to more than a few teams (Toronto? Calgary? Detroit? Spitballin’ here gang.)

1. laxman1944 - Jul 1, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Would love to see him wearing The Orange and Black

• desertfan - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Lets not go crazy!!!

3 x $4M max.

• mathieug79 - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:51 AM

LOL he’ll probably get around 5-5.5M for 4-5-6 years, My guess is he’ll sign in TO

• rsmaggiemae - Jul 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I wish the Wild would have the money to sign him… would be great to reunite him with Parise.

Maybe Parise can text him to take less money and come to Minnesota just for the quality of life… just kidding..
      Too bad the Wild are stuck with the 7,5 mil for Heatly who is injured and nothing can be done with him until he is healthy.
      This has been the pain in the Wilds side for months….. they cant make a move,

2. dutchman1350 - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

This guy is going to get top $ because teams do not want to play against him. He is a thorn!

• laxman1944 - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Exactly!!!!!!!!

3. Habib Marwan - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

I’ll admit i am a scott hartnell fan but this guy would be just as productive and is younger and fights better… i bet the flyers take a run and try to sign him

4. killerpgh - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I’ve alway wanted a winger like Clarkson to play along Crosby or Malkin. Above average hands for scoring and fighting. Other teams have to respect scoring ability and his ability to stick up for his teammates. He is the perfect player to ride shotgun with a star player, imo. That being said there is about a 0% chance he signs with the Pens.

5. 950003cups - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I’m gonna miss that guy if he leaves. Left me with tons of great memories. Clarkson was here from day one. He bled and broke bones playing here. He’s all heart. Never gives less than 100%. I wish him best of luck. Hopefully he can work a deal to stay here.

• lordfletcher - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I thought you said there is no way he was leaving a few months ago…

just like Parise wasn’t leaving last year…

6. nyrangers230 - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:10 PM

David Clarkson is nothing but a player who is constantly running his mouth and even plays dirty. I don’t like his style. He is always taking stupid penalties and always tries to be the center of attention He deserves to be stuck with the Dirty Jersey Debbies. Remember, I am a die hard New York Rangers fan, although I guess that was pretty obvious by reading my comments on Clarkson.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

70 + years and only one championship. Your team is as relevant as the New York Jets and the New York Mets are in their respective sports. Yes, we can all understand why you’re bitter.

• icelovinbrotha215 - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:56 PM

You forgot the ability to net 30+ goals within a given season.

• thecheeman - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I’m a Devils fan.

Negatives: David Clarkson will never score 30 goals in a season again. That year featured a run of incredibly lucky bounces. He would get to the front of the net, and there was a stretch when pucks were bouncing in off his legs, behind, shoulder, skate, every part of his body. It was partially hard work and partially incredible luck. He can’t stickhandle, just shovels it in the zone. He plays so aggressively that he also seemed to go through long dead patches this year from fatigue or taking constant hits selling out to get the puck to the net. He doesn’t kill penalties. He has a tendency to take bad penalties when he’s in agitator mode. He also fought notably less this year as he was expected to be more of an offensive contributor.

I would love to have him back at 4M a year, but he will most likely get over 5 and the Devils just have to let him walk at that price.

Clarkson’s career rejuvenated after he got teamed back up with Pete DeBoer, his junior coach, and I don’t think Clarkson’s going to fare well under another system without the Lamoriello/DeBoer support system on top of the performance pressure he will face on a big contract.

Great Devil though, I wish him luck wherever he goes. He’s worked hard for the money he’s about to make and he’s the type of guy that should get overpaid if anyone is going to get overpaid.

7. ray2013 - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:35 PM

NHL Radio was speculating the Oilers would be in the market to add Clarkson to their top 6. They could use some grit with their skill.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Don’t count out Toronto to make a run and even overpay for his services.Clarkson is not only a fan favorite there but he’s also a Toronto native and his foundation, “Clarky’s Kids” does a ton of charity work there as well.

• ray2013 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:28 PM

That makes some sense. He won’t have a shortage of options.

8. gbditka - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:47 PM

C’mon Lou…can’t take this! Zach Parise walks out the door last year with no compensation and now Clarkie who was a top point producer in back to back years will do the same? Plus the Devils have no muscle on the roster an no leaders on the ice…loved the draft day trade for Schneider but who is going to put the puck in the net other than Kovalchuk I ask?

9. 950003cups - Jul 2, 2013 at 3:01 AM

Lordfletcher:

First off, Parise likes it in the ass. Thats why he signed with MN. That, and $98,000,000.

Oh…. And he wanted to “go home”.

At $97,800,000 he would’ve had to think twice.

But on any team, $98,000,000 per playoff goal is above all expectations.

Enjoy your BUST! Lol!!!!!!!!!

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Too bad Devil fans do not have the same amount of class as their favorite team.

• 950003cups - Jul 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM

We’re from NJ

• rsmaggiemae - Jul 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Parise and Suter signed for quite a bit less money just to come back to Minnesota and the midwest…. as they say there is no place like home…..
      I do understand thier reasoning for coming back to Minnesota
      Unless you have been here no one knows what it is like here. with over 17,000 beautiful lakes and all the parks and we have what many large cities have but we dont want to advertise it too many people here already..

I hope the Wild go after Jordan Leopold as I always enjoyed watching him play for the Gophers../
      Maybe Parise can text Clarkson and tell him to take less money just to come to Minnesota
      just kidding

10. brockohol - Jul 2, 2013 at 8:30 AM

would look good on a line with Backes?

11. DED - Jul 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

As a Ranger fan, I will be happy to see him leave NJ and go somewhere far away. He scores goals, gets in the face of opponents, and isn’t afraid to throw a check. He’s the kind of guy you hate when he’s on the opposing team but you love him when he’s on yours. Losing him will be a blow to Devils’ fans, but maybe Lou has something else up his sleeve (a la Schneider trade).

12. denverwally - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Looks like a great replacement for Horton with the Bruins on a line with Krecji and Lucic. I’m pretty sure that would be the most dangerous line to play against in the league (or at least the most painful to play against), and if anyone can get him in a position to be point-productive, Krecji could.

13. thejrod2006 - Jul 4, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Disclosure: I’m a Devils fan.

I expect Clarkson to leave. He’s one of the top FA on the market and this is his opportunity for a mega payday. Hopefully, if he does leave, he goes out West to Edmonton.

If I were a team though, I’d be very careful about paying him top dollar. After his hot start this past season, he completely vanished for the final 30 games or so.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D