Jul 1, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
It seems like things are really starting to come together for the New Jersey Devils in the early part of this offseason.
On Sunday, they made a bigger splash at the draft by trading one of their picks for goalie of the future(/present?) Cory Schneider. With free agency looming, it appears that GM Lou Lamoriello is getting other ducks in a row, as he nears a deal with Patrick Elias and Dainius Zubrus agreed to a three-year contract on Monday, according to the Newark Star Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Chere reports that Zubrus signed for three-years, $9.3 million ($3.1 million per year). That falls just about line with a report on Thursday. It’s a slight pay cut from his previous average of $3.4 million for each season.
The Lithuanian forward seemed relieved while discussing the deal with Chere.
“I was hoping it was going to turn out the way it did,” Zubrus said.
The team’s ownership and financial issues weren’t an impediment to getting things done.
“Not for me,” Zubrus said. “I came here because of Lou. As long as he’s here …”
It’s hard to argue with Zubrus’ loyalty after this past weekend.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)