Jul 1, 2013, 12:21 PM EST
It seems like things are really starting to come together for the New Jersey Devils in the early part of this offseason.
On Sunday, they made a bigger splash at the draft by trading one of their picks for goalie of the future(/present?) Cory Schneider. With free agency looming, it appears that GM Lou Lamoriello is getting other ducks in a row, as he nears a deal with Patrick Elias and Dainius Zubrus agreed to a three-year contract on Monday, according to the Newark Star Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Chere reports that Zubrus signed for three-years, $9.3 million ($3.1 million per year). That falls just about line with a report on Thursday. It’s a slight pay cut from his previous average of $3.4 million for each season.
The Lithuanian forward seemed relieved while discussing the deal with Chere.
“I was hoping it was going to turn out the way it did,” Zubrus said.
The team’s ownership and financial issues weren’t an impediment to getting things done.
“Not for me,” Zubrus said. “I came here because of Lou. As long as he’s here …”
It’s hard to argue with Zubrus’ loyalty after this past weekend.
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)