Jul 1, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
It seems like things are really starting to come together for the New Jersey Devils in the early part of this offseason.
On Sunday, they made a bigger splash at the draft by trading one of their picks for goalie of the future(/present?) Cory Schneider. With free agency looming, it appears that GM Lou Lamoriello is getting other ducks in a row, as he nears a deal with Patrick Elias and Dainius Zubrus agreed to a three-year contract on Monday, according to the Newark Star Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Chere reports that Zubrus signed for three-years, $9.3 million ($3.1 million per year). That falls just about line with a report on Thursday. It’s a slight pay cut from his previous average of $3.4 million for each season.
The Lithuanian forward seemed relieved while discussing the deal with Chere.
“I was hoping it was going to turn out the way it did,” Zubrus said.
The team’s ownership and financial issues weren’t an impediment to getting things done.
“Not for me,” Zubrus said. “I came here because of Lou. As long as he’s here …”
It’s hard to argue with Zubrus’ loyalty after this past weekend.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 7
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 62
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (61)