Jul 1, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
It seems like things are really starting to come together for the New Jersey Devils in the early part of this offseason.
On Sunday, they made a bigger splash at the draft by trading one of their picks for goalie of the future(/present?) Cory Schneider. With free agency looming, it appears that GM Lou Lamoriello is getting other ducks in a row, as he nears a deal with Patrick Elias and Dainius Zubrus agreed to a three-year contract on Monday, according to the Newark Star Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Chere reports that Zubrus signed for three-years, $9.3 million ($3.1 million per year). That falls just about line with a report on Thursday. It’s a slight pay cut from his previous average of $3.4 million for each season.
The Lithuanian forward seemed relieved while discussing the deal with Chere.
“I was hoping it was going to turn out the way it did,” Zubrus said.
The team’s ownership and financial issues weren’t an impediment to getting things done.
“Not for me,” Zubrus said. “I came here because of Lou. As long as he’s here …”
It’s hard to argue with Zubrus’ loyalty after this past weekend.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)