Jul 1, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks freed up some cap space by trading away goaltender Cory Schneider, but they are still close to the cap ceiling. With that likely in mind, the Canucks placed Keith Ballard on regular waivers, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The fact that he’s not on $100 unconditional waivers is an important distinction because he needs to clear unconditional waivers before he can be bought out.
Ballard has two seasons remaining on his six-year, $25,200,000 contract. At his height, Ballard could surpass the 30-point milestone, but the 30-year-old defenseman recorded just 16 points in 148 games over the last three seasons. He also went from averaging over 20 minutes per game with the Florida Panthers to under 16 minutes in Vancouver.
His agent Ben Hankinson, recently suggested that his buying out his client would allow Ballard to start fresh.
“My guess is they are going to push the trade front as hard as they can, probably up to the (June 30) draft, and see where that takes them,” Hankinson said at the time.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (43)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)