Jul 1, 2013, 12:43 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks freed up some cap space by trading away goaltender Cory Schneider, but they are still close to the cap ceiling. With that likely in mind, the Canucks placed Keith Ballard on regular waivers, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The fact that he’s not on $100 unconditional waivers is an important distinction because he needs to clear unconditional waivers before he can be bought out.
Ballard has two seasons remaining on his six-year, $25,200,000 contract. At his height, Ballard could surpass the 30-point milestone, but the 30-year-old defenseman recorded just 16 points in 148 games over the last three seasons. He also went from averaging over 20 minutes per game with the Florida Panthers to under 16 minutes in Vancouver.
His agent Ben Hankinson, recently suggested that his buying out his client would allow Ballard to start fresh.
“My guess is they are going to push the trade front as hard as they can, probably up to the (June 30) draft, and see where that takes them,” Hankinson said at the time.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)