Jul 1, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks freed up some cap space by trading away goaltender Cory Schneider, but they are still close to the cap ceiling. With that likely in mind, the Canucks placed Keith Ballard on regular waivers, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The fact that he’s not on $100 unconditional waivers is an important distinction because he needs to clear unconditional waivers before he can be bought out.
Ballard has two seasons remaining on his six-year, $25,200,000 contract. At his height, Ballard could surpass the 30-point milestone, but the 30-year-old defenseman recorded just 16 points in 148 games over the last three seasons. He also went from averaging over 20 minutes per game with the Florida Panthers to under 16 minutes in Vancouver.
His agent Ben Hankinson, recently suggested that his buying out his client would allow Ballard to start fresh.
“My guess is they are going to push the trade front as hard as they can, probably up to the (June 30) draft, and see where that takes them,” Hankinson said at the time.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)