Jul 1, 2013, 12:43 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks freed up some cap space by trading away goaltender Cory Schneider, but they are still close to the cap ceiling. With that likely in mind, the Canucks placed Keith Ballard on regular waivers, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
The fact that he’s not on $100 unconditional waivers is an important distinction because he needs to clear unconditional waivers before he can be bought out.
Ballard has two seasons remaining on his six-year, $25,200,000 contract. At his height, Ballard could surpass the 30-point milestone, but the 30-year-old defenseman recorded just 16 points in 148 games over the last three seasons. He also went from averaging over 20 minutes per game with the Florida Panthers to under 16 minutes in Vancouver.
His agent Ben Hankinson, recently suggested that his buying out his client would allow Ballard to start fresh.
“My guess is they are going to push the trade front as hard as they can, probably up to the (June 30) draft, and see where that takes them,” Hankinson said at the time.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 61
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)