Brodeur shocked, but happy with Schneider trade

Jul 1, 2013, 9:02 AM EDT

Martin Brodeur Getty Images

Just 24 hours ago, the New Jersey Devils’ goaltending situation looked murky. In the short term, there was no question that Martin Brodeur and Johan Hedberg would enter the 2013-14 campaign as the team’s starting and backup goaltenders respectively.

The duo did fine for the most part in 2013, but Brodeur is 41 and entering the final campaign of his contract. What will the Devils do when the legendary goaltender finally hangs up his skates?

Enter Cory Schneider, who the Devils took from the Vancouver Canucks on Sunday for the price of the ninth overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft (aka forward Bo Horvat). Suddenly the Devils have a talented netminder who is just entering the prime of his career.

Brodeur admitted that the trade shocked him, but it didn’t take him long to warm up to the move.

“I think for the future of the organization it’s the best move,” Brodeur told the Bergen Record. “Cory is one of the top five goalies, in my mind, in the NHL. (It’s) a chance for him to get away from the chaos of Vancouver.

“I’m not going to play forever. I think it’s great that I’m going to be able to play with him. I’m definitely going to try to push him and get my ice time as much as I can while I’m still able to play. Definitely, he’s the future of the organization.”

Despite Schneider’s skills, Devils GM Lou Lamoriello insisted that Broduer would still be the number one goaltender in 2013-14. Brodeur certainly still sees himself as a starter.

“In my mind, I am,” he said. “He’s going to have to fight me for it.”

There might be points in the 2013-14 campaign where the transition between Brodeur and Schneider feels awkward, but the Devils’ future between the pipes looks far brighter today than it did last week.

Related:

Luongo: ‘I’m shocked’ after Schneider trade

1. letsgolightning - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Imagine if a week ago someone told you that the Canucks would trade Schneider, and that in return they would receive Bo Horvat. I mean, I understand Vancouver is very tight against the cap at the moment, but… wow.

I know they were asking a higher price from teams in the Pacific Division, but it’s hard to believe this is the best offer they received from an Eastern Conference team. It seems like at least Florida would have had some (relatively) inexpensive prospects they could have moved, even if they didn’t want to give up that #2 pick.

• blackfoot11 - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:26 AM

This is the brillance of Lou Lamoreillo. He knew Mike Gillis was desperate to move some players, and he held a top 10 pick that Vancouver wanted. I believe Gillis past up a very good trade package with Edmonton, but I guess the division foe factor was in play. It will be very interesting watching the damage control between the Canucks and Luongo.

• cofran2004 - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:48 PM

i dont know if its the brilliance of lou lamoreillo… i think its more that the canucks are in turmoil, just as brodeur said, and that they wanted to keep schneider out of their division. i feel like anyone with a pick higher than 9 could have had him…

2. hockey412 - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:22 AM

So they’re going to spend $10M on goalies in a year with a low cap?

• kegmen7 - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Devs were about 24 million under the cap before the deal, so its doable for this year….Now go sign Horton!

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:06 PM

If you want Horton for 6 million a year, You’re an idiot

• blackfoot11 - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:29 AM

@hockey412…Its worth it, the Devils now have a promising young franchise goalie behind Brouduer in his farewell season. You have to believe this was a topic of conversation between Lou and Marty before he signed his two year deal last summer.

3. youcallthathockeyblog - Jul 1, 2013 at 9:35 AM

NO Reblogging. Just looking for some folks to support PHT and my blog and get myblog out there.

• youcallthathockeyblog - Jul 1, 2013 at 10:38 AM

you guys rock lol

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM

F U and you’re F’ing blog you parasite

• youcallthathockeyblog - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Your level of maturity is on par with most trailer trash. Congratulations.

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Stop being a leech and spamming your garbage on other people blogs, and go F’ yourself

4. citlaliusa - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

$85 an hour! Seriously I don’t know why more people haven’t tried this, I work two shifts, 2 hours in the day and 2 in the evening…And whats awesome is Im working from home so I get more time with my kids. Heres where I went,go to this site home tab for more detail—>>> >>>>>CLICK AND EARN<<<<<<

• valarmorghuliss - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Oh look, the little league hockey writers here at PHT still haven’t deleted this comment either.

You guys are a useless as you are fringe hockey fans.

Another Ryan Dadoun entry that he doesn’t monitor, what a shocker.
      What’s it like knowing the half the people reading these blogs knows more about hockey than those writing them?
      Why NBC keeps you all I’ll never understand. You’re an embarrassment.

• ryanrockzzz - Jul 1, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Dude you have way too much time on your hands if your getting mad about this stuff…have a shot, it’ll take the edge off.

5. jkaflagg - Jul 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

While Lou is saying the right thing. (“Brodeur is still the starter”), I have to think that he hopes Schneider takes control of the position sooner rather than later…..Marty is still a good goalie, but can he really carry a team deep into the playoffs again ? The run to the Finals two years ago was more of a team effort than his individual brilliance, and it’s difficult to see him playing much better….

6. redridershoottheireyeout - Jul 1, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Hedberg up for grabs? Someone is going to get a decent backup goalie.

7. oruacat2 - Jul 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I think splitting time with Schneider benefits Marty’s 41-year-old body, too. The man can still play when he’s healthy (fresh) – it’s the grind of a full season that wears him down.

The more I read about Schneider, the more I like this deal, and I still think there’s a plan in-place for Brodeur to remain in the organization in some office or coaching capacity – especially now that NJD drafted his son.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches