Jun 30, 2013, 6:50 PM EDT
Less than a week after scoring the Stanley Cup-winning goal, Dave Bolland is on the move.
The Chicago center is on his way to Toronto after a draft-day trade — the Leafs gave the ‘Hawks their 51st and 117th overall selections from this year’s draft, and a fourth-rounder at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Bolland, 27, had 7G-7A in 35 games last year, missing time late in the season and through the early parts of the playoffs with groin and foot injuries.
The Toronto native is heading into the final season of his five-year, $16.875 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $3.375 million.
The move makes a lot of sense from both sides.
Chicago had reportedly been shopping Bolland throughout the week. His deal will expire next summer and, given Chicago’s financial future — the ‘Hawks are tight to the cap — getting him back in the Windy City would’ve been difficult.
For Toronto, the move addresses a general lack of talent/depth at center. It also acts as a potential safeguard in the event the Leafs can’t reach a new deal with UFA forward Tyler Bozak, who was the club’s No. 1 this year.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)