Jun 30, 2013, 6:50 PM EST
Less than a week after scoring the Stanley Cup-winning goal, Dave Bolland is on the move.
The Chicago center is on his way to Toronto after a draft-day trade — the Leafs gave the ‘Hawks their 51st and 117th overall selections from this year’s draft, and a fourth-rounder at the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Bolland, 27, had 7G-7A in 35 games last year, missing time late in the season and through the early parts of the playoffs with groin and foot injuries.
The Toronto native is heading into the final season of his five-year, $16.875 million deal, one that carries an average annual cap hit of $3.375 million.
The move makes a lot of sense from both sides.
Chicago had reportedly been shopping Bolland throughout the week. His deal will expire next summer and, given Chicago’s financial future — the ‘Hawks are tight to the cap — getting him back in the Windy City would’ve been difficult.
For Toronto, the move addresses a general lack of talent/depth at center. It also acts as a potential safeguard in the event the Leafs can’t reach a new deal with UFA forward Tyler Bozak, who was the club’s No. 1 this year.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)