Jun 30, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
The Wild and Islanders have teamed up for the first noteworthy trade of the day.
Niederreiter, the fifth overall selection at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, reportedly demanded a trade during the 2013 season after failing to make the Isles out of training camp.
While he had a productive season with AHL Bridgeport, there were rumblings of disappointment at not being at the NHL level — but the Isles were adamant at the time they had no interest in dealing him.
Niederreiter had a difficult rookie campaign in 2011-12, scoring just one goal (his only point) in 55 games while posting a minus-29 rating.
Clutterbuck is a restricted free agent that racked up 155 hits in 42 games during 2013. However, his offensive production was down, with just four goals and six assists.
The 25-year-old is coming off a three-year, $4.2 million contract.
His best season came in 2010-11 when he scored 19 goals and added 15 assists, with a league-leading 336 hits.
Clutterbuck also has one key connection to the Isles organization — he was a junior teammate of John Tavares in OHL Oshawa.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)