Jun 30, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
The Wild and Islanders have teamed up for the first noteworthy trade of the day.
Niederreiter, the fifth overall selection at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, reportedly demanded a trade during the 2013 season after failing to make the Isles out of training camp.
While he had a productive season with AHL Bridgeport, there were rumblings of disappointment at not being at the NHL level — but the Isles were adamant at the time they had no interest in dealing him.
Niederreiter had a difficult rookie campaign in 2011-12, scoring just one goal (his only point) in 55 games while posting a minus-29 rating.
Clutterbuck is a restricted free agent that racked up 155 hits in 42 games during 2013. However, his offensive production was down, with just four goals and six assists.
The 25-year-old is coming off a three-year, $4.2 million contract.
His best season came in 2010-11 when he scored 19 goals and added 15 assists, with a league-leading 336 hits.
Clutterbuck also has one key connection to the Isles organization — he was a junior teammate of John Tavares in OHL Oshawa.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (46)