Jun 30, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
For the second straight year, a Subban brother has been selected at the NHL Entry Draft.
On Sunday, Vancouver selected Jordan Subban – younger brother of Montreal’s P.K. and Boston’s Malcolm — with its fourth-round selection, 115th overall.
Last year, the Bruins took Malcolm in the first round, 24th overall.
P.K., who captured the Norris Trophy this year as the league’s top defenseman, says Jordan — also a blueliner — could be the best of the three Subbans.
“Jordan plays more of a cerebral type of game and is more of a thinker and I play off my instincts and try to do a little bit of everything,” P.K. told NHL.com. “I think Jordan’s skill level is much higher than mine.”
Jordan, who spent last season with OHL Belleville, finished sixth among Ontario League defensemen with a career-high 51 points (15 goals, 36 assists) last year. He had five goals and 20 points as a rookie in 2011-12.
If his older brother’s assessment is correct, the Canucks might’ve nabbed themselves a draft-day steal.
“[Jordan] kind of wants to do more than what I’ve achieved, so he’s a special individual and a lot different than I am,” P.K. said. “He will be an amazing player, and I think that a lot of people might look past him, but they’re going to be surprised in the near future how good he is.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)