Jun 30, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning had to be a bit surprised when Seth Jones, the No. 1 ranked North American skater, was still available for selection at No. 3 overall.
But it didn’t sway their choice.
The Bolts drafted Jonathan Drouin from QMJHL Halifax, two spots after Mooseheads teammate Nathan MacKinnon went first overall.
Drouin, 18, teamed with MacKinnon to form one of the best scoring duos in the Canadian Hockey League last season. Drouin scored 41 times in 49 games and was named the Quebec League MVP and CHL Player of the Year, edging out MacKinnon and Jones.
Widely regarded as the best playmaker in the draft, it appears Tampa Bay has now found a table-setter for Steven Stamkos. Veteran center and captain Vincent Lecavalier has been bought out of his contract and is now a free agent.
Drouin is on record saying he’s ready to play in the NHL next season, despite being just 18 years old and registering at 5-foot-11, 176 pounds.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 3
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)