Jun 30, 2013, 3:27 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning had to be a bit surprised when Seth Jones, the No. 1 ranked North American skater, was still available for selection at No. 3 overall.
But it didn’t sway their choice.
The Bolts drafted Jonathan Drouin from QMJHL Halifax, two spots after Mooseheads teammate Nathan MacKinnon went first overall.
Drouin, 18, teamed with MacKinnon to form one of the best scoring duos in the Canadian Hockey League last season. Drouin scored 41 times in 49 games and was named the Quebec League MVP and CHL Player of the Year, edging out MacKinnon and Jones.
Widely regarded as the best playmaker in the draft, it appears Tampa Bay has now found a table-setter for Steven Stamkos. Veteran center and captain Vincent Lecavalier has been bought out of his contract and is now a free agent.
Drouin is on record saying he’s ready to play in the NHL next season, despite being just 18 years old and registering at 5-foot-11, 176 pounds.
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 6
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 10
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 14
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 35
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 23
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 34
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)